Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dsl Keeps Disconnecting

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Jan-2008, 01:32 PM #1
Angry Dsl Keeps Disconnecting
well ive been putting up with this for the last year or so becasue it hasnt been that bad, or so i thought. Wen i played online games like Rumble Fighter, Counter Strike, or ps2, Wii online ive been told i was lagging, i thought they wer just mad, but turns out its because my DSL constantly keeps discnecting rapidly ovr and ovr, then it will stop for about a minute, then it starts disconnecting again. Ive updated to the lastest firmware and it made the problem worse.

I have a Westell Model 327W, Verizon, Low Speed internet (its actauly pretty decent speed)

and i bought the etherenet card a few years back, so maybe i need a new one? anyway any help would be greatly apreciated because this is seriously anoying me.

and its not only wen i play games, even im just listening to music or surfing the internet i get the message bubble constantly telling me the cable is disconnected

Last edited by redkid; 19-Jan-2008 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: forgot to add more info
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

19-Jan-2008, 02:27 PM #2
Connect with a wired connection with one computer, disconnect all other computers for the test.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. Post the results link from the top of the test display page here.
Member with 4,698 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Jan-2008, 05:13 PM #3
Could also be a defective modem. I had similar issues and ultimately resolved the problem after replacing the modem.

Regards,
Rollin
Computer Specs

20-Jan-2008, 11:43 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill View Post
Connect with a wired connection with one computer, disconnect all other computers for the test.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. Post the results link from the top of the test display page here.
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2337832

thats what i got
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,485 posts.

20-Jan-2008, 01:57 PM #5
I'm still trying to learn how to read those reports, but I think two things stand out.

First, your router is set to block pings; to get complete results you need to change that setting at least while doing this test.

Second, you have enough ammunition there to start discussing (try not to yell, at least at first) your results with your friendly Verizon folks. Note that on both tests after it gets back to Verizon (verizon-gni.net) there is that red highlighted (bad news) hop at 130.81.20.177.

I'm sure John will post corrections soon if I've got this wrong.
Computer Specs

20-Jan-2008, 02:24 PM #6
That's about it. The real test is the transfer tests that you have correctly noted must have PING enabled. We need to see that one to have all the ammo for a complaint.

FYI, here's an example of a problem connection, Verizon was having problems on the East Coast for about three weeks.

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2329585

Here's a more current one, they seem to have mostly fixed it. There's still one issue on the East Coast link, but it didn't directly affect my connection.

http://www.dslreports.com/linequalit...6ca594/2336532
Computer Specs

20-Jan-2008, 09:08 PM #7
Ok how do i unblock ping?
Computer Specs

21-Jan-2008, 10:32 AM #8
It would be in the router's setup, but I don't have the exact information on that router.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Jan-2008, 03:43 AM #9
It happens to me too
I have Verizon DSL, live in Pa and have a Westell 327W modem.

This happened quite a few times over the 9 months that i've had Verizon DSL. The first time that it happened was when i was running Limewire. Limewire, being a peer to peer file sharing program, uses more bandwidth then say someone using the internet to send emails and visit an occasional web page. I kept getting disconnected every few minutes, all night long. When i called verizon and spent about 10 hrs on the phone in 1 weekend, they said they would fix the problem. What they did, without asking me or telling me was to cut my speed in half. I happened to find that out by checking their logs. I finally got them to reset my speed back to even faster than it had previously been, and it stayed that way for over 2 months. Now the problems are back again.

When i started looking online for similar horror stories I came across an interesting fact that you probably arent aware of: Verizon will cut your bandwidth if you use file sharing programs, peer to peer network programs, do online gaming, or even use sites like YouTube (which can also consume a lot of bandwidth).

My guess is that there is nothing wrong with your modem, but rather, Verizon is repeatedly disconnecting someone that has been flagged as a bandwidth hog. In my case, I might use Limewire only about 1 night every 2 months (although i do visit YouTube a lot).

Good luck.
Computer Specs

28-Jan-2008, 02:24 PM #10
oh man that sux. well i fixed it, i got a new modem card. Although wat mrdickens said is sorta true, ive noticed my speed is like 80kps anyway thnx alot guys.
Computer Specs

09-Feb-2008, 02:48 PM #11
crap
the problems back, well i took the line test again and heres wat i go

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2347788

i hope it helps, i basically updated the linksys card and it stoped the problem for a few days, but uh its back so now what?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,485 posts.

09-Feb-2008, 03:12 PM #12
Same as before. "Note that on both tests after it gets back to Verizon (verizon-gni.net) there is that red highlighted (bad news) hop at 130.81.20.177."

Discuss those results with Verizon tech support.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

09-Feb-2008, 07:43 PM #13
First things first
Okay here's a few pointers

1) contact Verizon and get them to test the DSLAM rack you're connecting into at the exchange

2) Get Verizon to run a line test (I'm assuming we're talking DSL here??)

3) If both these tests are inconclusive then try disconnecting all other devices connected to your phone line (e.g. phones, burglar alarm monitoring equipment etc.), leaving your DSL modem connencted

4) If the above doesnt work then it isnt an exchange fault, a line fault or the fault of any other telecommunications equipment you're using so it is most probably your modem - try borrowing another ADSL modem of a different (and reputable) brand and entering your user setttings/login details and trying that....
Computer Specs

10-Feb-2008, 12:36 AM #14
yea
i already called verizon and they did the line test and they said nothing was wrong, i guess i should buy a new modem card then? but different then linksys right?
Computer Specs

10-Feb-2008, 01:46 AM #15
ok iv ebeen searching
and ive read alot of reviews on different ethernet cards for my comp, and all of them seem to be bad except linksys, so does anyone have any other brands in mind?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!