Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet Connection keeps crashing

(!)

Member with 30 posts.

09-Feb-2008, 10:43 PM #1
Internet Connection keeps crashing
Currently I have a Verizon DSL internet connection through a Westell 6100 wired modem and my internet has been disconnecting extremely frequently recently (it happens more during certain times of day, notably 4pm to 11pm and during this time the disconnecting can get as bad as once every 3 or 4 minutes). Also, when it says that it has an internet connection it won't allow me to load a web page or connect to anything at all online.

The modem itself has 4 lights (Power, Ethernet, DSL, and Internet), and the Internet light is constantly going out. I talked with the Verizon support team (both the first level of support then the help desk) and got absolutely nowhere (I got nothing past being told to power cycle the modem and opening and reopening Internet Explorer). What can be done to fix this? I've heard that it could just be the modem itself going bad, but would that be the definite cause of this and could I have it replaced by Verizon (or buy a new one)?

And in the process of making this post my internet connection has died 5 times. :/ I actually spent about 45 minutes a couple days ago just trying to load the forum and it wouldn't load anything despite saying the internet connection was working (in between sporadically going out).
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

10-Feb-2008, 01:01 PM #2
Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. Post the results link from the top of the test display page here.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,484 posts.

10-Feb-2008, 01:08 PM #3
Do you have a user manual that indicates what the DSL LED staying on but the Internet LED going out means?

I assume that the Internet LED going out means a problem with your ISP, their wiring, your wiring or filters, or the modem/router.

To check your wiring and filters I suggest connecting the modem/router as close as possible to the outside connection and remove all filters and other devices. If the problem goes away, or gets much better then start adding filters and other devices back one at a time.
Member with 30 posts.

10-Feb-2008, 09:33 PM #4
Line quality test before 4pm and before constant connection loss:
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2348408

Line quality test after 4pm and with constant connection loss:
http://www.dslreports.com/linequalit...32272a/2348445

And I checked unplugging the only phone in the house, didn't change anything. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but I have Verizon phone and DSL service and the phone service has never went out even during the period of mass disconnecting on the DSL service. Also, I don't think the modem came with a manual :/, or at least I don't know where it's gone to.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 22 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Feb-2008, 10:44 PM #5
I'ved work with verizon before and I'm pretty sure your problem is a network issue.

DSL light should be solid and steady, It should not blink. It means your connected to the verizon server.

Internet light should be always on too. It means that your authentication to the server is alright.

The problem is your Internet light. It should stay solid. It does not affect the phone line at all. you can have internet yet dont have phone service or vice versa.

My advice, call up your ISP, inform them of the internet light that is sometimes off. and troubleshoot the authentication of the modem. Well this is if you have a PPPOE modem or from the east part of US.
If not resolved your issue would be escalated so that the main office could fix the problem. co'z its a network problem.

One more thing, call them up at the time that you dont have connection co'z they'll be running a line test to check if your connection is down so they can escalate it.

Hope this helps.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

11-Feb-2008, 09:43 AM #6
Well, your question is answered with those line quality tests. Time to call Verizon, because they're the only ones that can solve this issue.

I'd print out the two and have them for the tech. Maybe they'll actually believe you know what you're talking about and address the issue.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!