Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop disconnects LAN periodically

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Feb-2008, 04:35 PM #1
Laptop disconnects LAN periodically
I`ve recently got a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. I have an ADSL connection at home and an SMC 7004VBR router. Each time I connect the laptop to it, it disconnects every 15-20 minutes or so, disconnecting also the other PC on the same LAN at the same time (there`s always a notification on the PC that says a network cable is unplugged). After a minute everything is back to normal. When I hibernate or switch off the laptop with the ethernet plugged in, the next time I switch it on I have the same problem: both comps are disconnected from the Internet, and it needs some time to connect again. Could it be a hardware problem, or is it rather networking issue?

I have Windows Vista Basic on the laptop, Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet controller, and I`ve set up a static IP. On the desktop that`s on the same network I have Windows XP Home. Thanks for all your help!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,413 posts.

20-Feb-2008, 05:36 PM #2
Many will disagree that wireless interference can cause ethernet connected computers to disconnect, but since they both disconnect at the same time, that is my first suspicion. Especially from a 2.4Ghz cordless phone or another network on the same or close channel. Suggest try a different channel, 1 or whatever is the highest number in your region.
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

20-Feb-2008, 08:05 PM #3
What do you mean by a different channel? And the thing is that when I connect my father`s laptop together with the desktop, they both work happily with no interruption... Also, when I search for a wireless network in range, can`t find any, so the problem must be something else
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

20-Feb-2008, 08:31 PM #4
Try disabling the wireless capability on the router. If that doesn't change the symptoms, then it's not wireless issues or interference.
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

21-Feb-2008, 06:21 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill View Post
Try disabling the wireless capability on the router. If that doesn't change the symptoms, then it's not wireless issues or interference.
Tried that, but unfortunately the problem still exists
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,413 posts.

21-Feb-2008, 07:52 PM #6
For the desktop and your laptop please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!