Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wireless N Connection Speed Issue

(!)

Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Mar-2008, 05:01 PM #1
Wireless N Connection Speed Issue
I am not seeing anything higher than 54.0 mbps connection speeds with my N wireless set up. Any input or help would be greatly appreciated!!!

My equipment/cable service is as follows:

Cablevision Optonline with Boost (30 downstream/5 upstream/100 mbps wired LAN)

Laptop specs:

Gateway M6817 with Vista Home Premium/Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
2 gb ram, 250 HD, Intel Centrino Duo Core 2, 1.5 ghz processor

Router:

Belkin Wireless N model #F5D8233-4

Router settings: WPA2PSK/AES
20/40mhz bandwidth
b/g/n mode (laptop does not connect on N only mode)

***I also downloaded the most recent firmware/drivers for the network card and Belkin router***
Member with 88 posts.

Experience: Einstein
07-Mar-2008, 06:50 PM #2
Wireless N is still a "DRAFT" which means its not fully complete and is not guarenteed to run at 300Mbps. Origanlly they planned N to go up to 600Mbps but that went down the drain quickly.

Also Ive never heard of the company you use for internet but I have Comcast which is "supposed" to be the fastest but thats only cause at certain times your speed will be above DSL or any other internet. Ya that usually happens.... around 3am when no one else is using the internet. Its kind of like water. If everyone in your neighborhood took a shower at 8am everyday your water pressure would be horrible.

When a company says their router produces 11, 54, 110, 300 Mbps that isn't your internet speed. That is the speed that data CAN be transferred between computers. DSL do upstreams UP TO 640Kbps and downstreams of UP TO 9Mbps. So if you have DSL and you think your internet speed is 54Mbps.... Wrong its no where close to it. This is generally regulated by the FCC. Like Phone Modems can not surpass 56k but yet companys like NetZero promise faster speeds but really your getting the same as with AOL or anything else that is dial up.

I'm not saying Wireless N is crap but thats what it is supposed to do.

If you don't believe me then double check all of your Routers settings make sure its not set just for Wireless A and/or G since they only run at 54.

Check your laptops wireless settings for the same thing.

Wireless N is expected to be fully complete in July 2009. In the eyes of a Networking Company they think they can make more money by releasing PRE-Versions of the concept but they do not offer what it promises due to the fact that it is and will be a DRAFT, PRE-N, or MIMO-BASED until mid 2009.

Also if it wont connect on N only theres more than likely using A/G since N wont work alone. Its just connecting on what it can grab. Buy a Card for the laptop.

There is a reason why I still have a Wireless G Router!!!

Last edited by JKingsnorth; 07-Mar-2008 at 07:04 PM..
Member with 88 posts.

07-Mar-2008, 07:08 PM #3
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7...etspeedlz0.jpg

Also found that about your internet.

Mbps is FASTER than Kbps

Did alittle more research and shows that your Adapter is not compatible with your router

Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN provides deployment flexibility and connectivity convenience by offering a quad mode (supporting 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N) product, which is capable of connecting to new "Connect with Intel® Centrino®" wireless N Access Points / Routers, but can also connect to any of the legacy Wi-Fi standards, 802.11a, b or g.

This is actually the first time I've heard of the program but as far as I know only Buffalo Products are supported.

Buy an adapter card!

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=372146

Matches your router

Last edited by JKingsnorth; 07-Mar-2008 at 07:16 PM..
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

07-Mar-2008, 07:45 PM #4
If the Intel card can't connect to other 802.11n products, it's junk! Of course, since I have personally seen that card in a laptop connect to a D-Link DIR-615 802.11n, that statement is misleading at best, and BS at worst.

I had Comcast broadband here, and your comments about it are way off-target as well. I didn't have any issue with obtaining full speed no matter what the time of day was. Do you check any of your "facts" before you post them?
Member with 88 posts.

07-Mar-2008, 07:53 PM #5
Comcast does not always get you full speed. If you check your speed on like Toast.net or something it is constantly changing.

I just ran it....

1st Speed: 1630Kb

2nd Speed: 1712Kb

3rd Speed 1612Kb

4th Speed 1810Kb

Cleared all cookies and settings before and after each test..

What does that tell you. Tells me that connection speeds are always changing.

Just curious but what exactly do you think full speed is?
Computer Specs

07-Mar-2008, 08:04 PM #6
That would depend on where you live and what tier you have contracted for. I just called a friend of mine that has Comcast, and his speed came up at 5560/740, his service is 6000/784. Seems pretty good to me, and this is the peak usage period that normally would suffer any hit if it were going to.
Member with 88 posts.

07-Mar-2008, 08:10 PM #7
Exactly. My point is not that comcast is great or sucks my point is no matter where you are and how much usage is going on in the area speeds constantly flex. Thats cable. This guy has DSL so that also goes with phone usage and everything.

Im trying to say that nothing is perfect and speed is always changing and not always like 54Mbps like your wireless laptop says
Computer Specs

07-Mar-2008, 08:28 PM #8
The phone usage has nothing to do with DSL speed, they live in a different frequency spectrum on the line. DSL delays come in the Telco CO and beyond as a rule. Of course, lousy lines can also affect the DSL speed.

My Verizon FiOS has been constant whenever I've tested the speeds. I have the 15mbit/2mbit service, and I see this within about 20kbits whenever I test it, day, night, morning, evening. whenever.
Attached Thumbnails
Wireless N Connection Speed Issue-speed.jpg  
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,997 posts.

07-Mar-2008, 09:03 PM #9
As I understand it there are basically three types of 'n' equipment.

Draft 1 n will generally give > 'g' bandwidth only if all devices on the network are brand and chipset matched. Assume that anything at least a year old is draft 1.

Draft 2 n devices will generally work pretty well together, but no guarantee unless there is a brand and chipset match. Good luck trying to determine what devices are draft 2.

Final n devices should all work together fine. Not yet available.
Member with 88 posts.

07-Mar-2008, 09:08 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post

Draft 1 n will generally give > 'g' bandwidth only if all devices on the network are brand and chipset matched. Assume that anything at least a year old is draft 1.

Draft 2 n devices will generally work pretty well together, but no guarantee unless there is a brand and chipset match. Good luck trying to determine what devices are draft 2.

Final n devices should all work together fine. Not yet available.
This is true there are 3 Different Draft Versions I believe the current one is 3.02
Computer Specs

08-Mar-2008, 11:57 AM #11
Member with 41 posts.

08-Mar-2008, 12:06 PM #12
Wireless N
Hello everyone,

A little more information about the connection/downstream/upstream speeds I am seeing from my current ISP (Optimum Online from Cablevision in Long Island, NY).

When I connect my Gateway laptop via Ethernet connection I am seeing 100 mbps connection, 31 mbps downstream/4.8 mbps upstream but when using wireless the numbers drop to 54 mbps connection, 22.5 mbps downstream/4.7 mbps upstream (using speedtest.net - represented in kbps and Cablevision's speed test - represented in mbps).

According to Intel and Belkin's website, it states my router is compatible with the Intel N card.

When I first bought the router I was seeing 150 mbps connection speeds when clicking on the the wireless properties but on 2/8/2008 via Windows update there was an Intel driver update which I downloaded and once I did that, connection averages between 48.0 mbps & 54 mbps.

Do you think by bypassing the built in Intel card with a Belkin Wirless N card might help or would it be a waste of money?

And many thanks for everyone's feedback on my issue
Computer Specs

08-Mar-2008, 02:58 PM #13
"... via Windows update there was an Intel driver update ..."

Probably the problem. Windows update likely got the driver directly from Intel. Get integrated wireless adapter updates from your PC manufacturer because they, or the motherboard manufacturer, may have to change the "raw" driver to fit their system. If you check closely on the Intel web site you will see that warning (I'm so smart because I downloaded a driver directly from Intel and gave myself problems!).

Since you didn't report having a problem before, you can simply go into Device Manager and backup to the previous adapter driver.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Updating my previous post with info from John's timeline link ...

Draft 1 & 2 n will generally give > 'g' bandwidth only if all devices on the network are brand and chipset matched. Assume that anything before fall of 2007 is draft 1 or 2.

Draft 3 n devices will generally work pretty well together, but no guarantee unless there is a brand and chipset match. Good luck trying to determine what devices are draft 3.

Final n devices should all work together fine. Cross your fingers and hope they will be available mid 2009.
Member with 41 posts.

08-Mar-2008, 03:22 PM #14
Hello Terry,

I am also convinced that my issues are related to the Intel driver update. I also recently noticed the Intel website stated that their drivers are generic and you should always use the equipment makers one instead (read this the other day after I started having issues).

According to Gateway's website, there is an available driver listed for my model & serial # and was posted the same day that I downloaded the Intel generic one.

I will update my laptop using this one and see what happens!

Thanks for your help.
Computer Specs

08-Mar-2008, 03:28 PM #15
Should work. Let us know how it goes.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!