Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Transfer to Network Hard Drive Slow

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Enough to be Dangerous
10-Mar-2008, 07:26 PM #1
Exclamation Transfer to Network Hard Drive Slow
Hello all. I am hoping someone can help me out here. I purchased an Iomega 500GB Network Hard drive a week or so ago and am experiencing extremely slow transfer rates over my network.

This is a small home network, nothing fancy. I have a D-Link WDA-1320 wireless card in my PC that communicates with a Netgear WPN824v2 wireless router. When I attempt to transfer about 5GB of mixed media files to my network hard drive it takes over an hour. If I take the network/wireless out of the equation and connect the hard drive directly to my PC via a crossover cable, those same 5GB worth of files transfers in about 17 minutes. I have checked the settings on my router and did not discover anything out of the ordinary. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

10-Mar-2008, 10:37 PM #2
I have narrowed this down to just a wireless problem. If I hardwire the computer to the router I can transfer 5GB in about 15 minutes. I would prefer (as would my wife) to not hard wire the computer as the router is in a different room than the PC and there would be a long cable running in the middle of our living room.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

10-Mar-2008, 11:18 PM #3
Wireless file transfer speeds will be significantly slower especially when working with large files compared to wired network connections. It's simply a limitation of the technology. The new 802.11n protocol is supposed to improve transfer speeds. Until then, b/g connections and transfers will be slower.

10-Mar-2008, 11:30 PM #4
It may be slower, but 45 minutes slower on the same files seems a little excessive. I read a review on a similar Iomega hard drive that said on a wireless g connection (same as mine) they were able to transfer 5MB of mixed media files (music Pictures, same as me) in just over 20 minutes. I find it hard to believe that it ould take me 40 minutes longer than that over a wireless connection.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

11-Mar-2008, 07:48 AM #5
Actually, wireless file transfers can be downright painful compared to wired connections, this is not news. You're talking about 1.8mbyte/sec over the wireless link, quite frankly, that's as good as it gets.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!