Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Slow speeds after storm!

(!)

Member with 161 posts.

04-Apr-2008, 08:56 PM #1
Exclamation Slow speeds after storm!
Ok, today we had some thunderstorms, im currenty on dial-up internet, it connects pretty high bein its 56K and your limited to 53.33 Kbps "Or something like that", it always connects at 56.6 Kbps, and my throughput is about 46 Kbps, not bad. I was online playing halo CE with my freinds, when this big bolt of lighting hit near my house, the lights DIDDNT go off, or flicker, nothing got turned off, but, i got disconected from the internet. When i tried to reconnect, i connected, but my speed is 32.0 Kbps!, and my throughput is like 20 Kbps!, i know the lightning couldnt have efected my modem, becuase they are very sensitive,and if lightning had of hit it, it wouldnt work at all, not just a littte. So whats the problem? please help.

*Note*
Ive done everything, ive reinstalled windows, used a diffrent phone jack, used a diffrent phone cord, everything.

Last edited by CarnageX3; 04-Apr-2008 at 10:30 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,131 posts.

04-Apr-2008, 10:01 PM #2
My top suspicion is that your modem was damaged, and that you are lucky that it and your motherboard did not fare much worse.

Other possibilities are that your ISP is having problems, or there are phone line problems anywhere between you and your ISP.
Member with 161 posts.

04-Apr-2008, 10:21 PM #3
Hmm, im hoping its just my modem, its easy to replace. I really hope it isnt my phone lines, Is there any way i could test the phone lines? or my modem?

Last edited by CarnageX3; 05-Apr-2008 at 02:44 AM..
Member with 161 posts.

05-Apr-2008, 05:40 AM #4
Bump - I really need help, my speed is 23.4 Kbps now

*Edit*
I read on the internet that whenever a phone line is down, and they need to work on it, they reroute the line through other lines, could this be efecting it?
Computer Specs

05-Apr-2008, 10:16 AM #5
If you have a phone "interface box" outside you can connect there--that will eliminate the wiring in your house to let you know if that is where the problem is.

Otherwise for testing you need to try your computer somewhere else and/or try another computer at your house.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

05-Apr-2008, 10:40 AM #6
Go to the telco service entrance, you normally have a box with a modular jack that connects directly to the phone company's lines. This is where the phone company will test the line, anything beyond this point in the house is yours.

Disconnect the jack and connect your modem directly to it, and test the functionality there.

If you connect a phone directly to that jack and make a call or two, see if you here ANY hum or crackling on the line. Any audio issues are a sure sign that the lines are the issue.
Member with 161 posts.

14-Apr-2008, 01:25 AM #7
OK, it has been awhile since i last posted, i think i found the problem, but i cant test it today. I'm pretty sure the problem is that the lightning damaged it, because a guys post that i read said that he had the same problems, connecting slow, and everything else, he bought a new modem, and bam! his ultra fast dial-up went back to a blazing 5Kbps! "Sarcasm", but any way, thanks for the support, ill try to report back here as soon as i can, thanks!
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2008, 08:22 AM #8
Let us know. Are you sure the phone company didn't get around to fixing the lines in the interim?
Member with 161 posts.

16-Apr-2008, 11:50 PM #9
Now that you say that, i have seen AT&T trucks up and down my road, now I'm suspicious. But my top priority is the modem, lighting has hit our phone lines plenty of times before, so I'm sure it isn't that, but theirs always that possibility. If by any chance the modem doesn't help, i will make sure to call the phone company, and get back to you as soon as possible, thanks for reminding me.

Last edited by CarnageX3; 16-Apr-2008 at 11:55 PM..
Member with 161 posts.

07-May-2008, 08:23 PM #10
Wow, been awhile since i last post. I fixed the problem, it was the modem, i just bought a new modem (Exactly like my old one) hooked it up, dialed-up, and the connection was 56.6Kbps, so to anyone that has this problem, please do this first, it could be the main problem. Thanks a lot everyone, and sorry it took me awhile to post...
Computer Specs

08-May-2008, 08:18 AM #11
No sweat, glad for the feedback.
Member with 161 posts.

14-Jun-2008, 02:46 PM #12
Well I'm back, same problem again, only this time i had everything unplugged (Except my phone cord, which i forgot to unplug...) lightning made our lights go off and then back on, so i thought "OK everything is unplugged". Later on i went to get on the computer (All this was at about 12:00 AM) and everything was fine, it connected at 50.6 Kbps. Later on in the morning (About 8:00) i got back on and it connected at 45.6 Kbps, so i got mad and disconnected, then reconnected and it was 48.3 Kbps, disconnected and reconnected again, and it was 49.2 Kbps, and it just kept staying their, sometimes dropping back down. My question is - Is this thing damaged or is something else happening, these modems I'm getting must be extremely low quality if the slightest shock can damage it, id hate to see what would happen to it if it was exposed to lightning directly... anyways, just seeing if i should buy another (Which i want too), or have the place I'm buying them from check out to see what is going on, thanks again guys. (Sorry if i was supposed to start a new thread, just figured same problem, same thread...)
Computer Specs

14-Jun-2008, 02:59 PM #13
Devices that connect to a phone line expect very low voltages and currents; an extra volt on a 120 volt electrical line is not even normal noise but on a phone line it's tremendous.

My first suspicion for your slower speeds (that many, many people with dial up would love to have) is that there are some phone lines or connections that need some time to dry out. I wouldn't get too worried until you've had several days w/o rain.
Member with 161 posts.

15-Jun-2008, 09:00 AM #14
Although i know that can be the case sometimes, i know its not for me, its stormed plenty of times before, and this hasn't happened. I really don't want to pay another $32 when i just got this new modem for the same reason as now. I just don't get it though, we've always had storms and lightning were i live, and our modem never got shot out, or the connection never went bad because of wet lines or static, you think its the modem I'm buying? Also another thing, it always click's once right before dialing the number, the other one did it too, is it supposed to? Thanks for the feedback...

Last edited by CarnageX3; 15-Jun-2008 at 09:05 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Jun-2008, 11:04 AM #15
I doubt that is a power outage issue. Actually there really is no such thing as 56kbps connection anyway as the top possible is 53kbps as I remember anyway. 48-50, and they really should be different everytime is more realistic as far as I am concerned. The modem speed you see really is barely relevant to line speed anyway, why not really annoy yourself and try running some random internet speed tests realizing that you really should run 3 and average the speed as they will vary everytime anyway.
I use www.toast.net ( Internet Speed Test choose "shuttle and text" setting) and I believe that used to do dialup...if not someone else can provide the test site.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!