Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Computer won't recognize WRT54G v2 wireless router

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Apr-2008, 11:04 PM #1
Angry Solved: Computer won't recognize WRT54G v2 wireless router
Hi guys, first time poster here, long time reader. I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I looked almost everywhere (over the internet) for an answer to my problem with no positive results.

I have a WRT54G v2 Linksys wireless router that was working fine about a year ago when I used it last, however I tried just recently using it again (since my D-Link router completely fried on me) and for some reason, my computer won't recognize it's default gateway IP. I've tried numerous options including the Linksys quick install manual, several reboots, disabling firewalls and anti-virus software, manually setting a default gateway to 192.168.1.1, connecting it to a friend's pc with no connectivity, using about 5 different ethernet cables, and so forth. I'm almost certain that the router may have simply died on me.

The thing I don't understand, is that all the lights for connections on it work fine, the power led doesn't blink at all, and the reset button still seems to work. My pc just doesn't seem to recognize the default gateway on the router, preventing me from accessing the web admin (which also means I can't flash firmware, I'm thinking) or connecting to the internet.

I'm really at a loss here, I hope someone can help me out as to why I can't connect to the router or how I can fix it.

10-Apr-2008, 12:28 AM #2
Nevermind guys, sorry bout that, I just figured out the problem and solved it. I used a laptop with a wireless connection to access web admin without any problems and I was able to flash the firmware and now all hardwire connections work perfectly! Best regards to anyone else with this problem in the future, and that hopefully this can help.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,382 posts.

Experience: Including today?
10-Apr-2008, 12:30 AM #3
You said the reset button on the rear of the router works? My question is how would you know that it works, if you can't connect to it?

Reset your computers IP to automatic and try a manual reset.
Insert a pin into the reset hole and hold the pin down for a 30 seconds. Once you have done that, try to connect to the router again. (you may need to repair the connection again to get it to work)

You also said you have tried it on a friends computer and it wont connect , suspect there is a good chance it is as you stated...Dead.

EDIT, glad you got it figured out.

Last edited by Sequal7; 10-Apr-2008 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: Figured it yourself just as I answered.....

10-Apr-2008, 02:09 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequal7 View Post
You said the reset button on the rear of the router works? My question is how would you know that it works, if you can't connect to it?

Reset your computers IP to automatic and try a manual reset.
Insert a pin into the reset hole and hold the pin down for a 30 seconds. Once you have done that, try to connect to the router again. (you may need to repair the connection again to get it to work)

You also said you have tried it on a friends computer and it wont connect , suspect there is a good chance it is as you stated...Dead.

EDIT, glad you got it figured out.
Hey Sequal thanks for your response to my thread

I just wanted to let you know, that the power led and all other lights on the front of the router would flash once I pressed the reset button, so I only assumed that it still worked.

But yeah I got it fixed, just figured I'd reply to your question, for any future troubleshooters. Thanks for the help.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

10-Apr-2008, 03:37 PM #5
You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!