Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop takes over as Internet Gateway

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Apr-2008, 02:08 AM #1
Laptop takes over as Internet Gateway
My laptop suddenly has the ability to disable any network it's connected to, whether or not I have the password to it. Here is the video of it in action (but please read the caption below before watching the video):

Also please note, I have the "Magnifier" application up only because it stays on top and blocks people who watch the video from seeing my personal info (IP, MAC address, etc).

Here is the video:

http://www.box.net/shared/dbkzk0dgks

I've always had an icon in the lower right called either "Local Area Connection" or "Wireless Network Connection" depending on if I'm hardwired to the router or wireless. About a week ago, a second icon started appearing alongside either of the other two. It's called "Internet Connection" and when I look under the networking section of control panel, it's located under "Internet Gateway". So I went through the network connection wizard and told the wizard that I connect through a router, and NOT directly to the internet like it seems to think. This has done nothing, no matter how many times I went through the wizard, the icon stayed even after I restarted the laptop. Even worse: if I try to disable that specific connection, everyone on the network loses internet.

Infact, I was sitting in class one day when I didn't know what the icon did. I tried to disable it because I was afraid people might be connection through my computer or something, and when I disabled it, half the building (whoever was connected to that router) lost internet access. The technicians had to come in, and I felt obliged to speak up, and I actually got in a lot of trouble because they thought I "hacked" the network. Mind you, I don't have the password to the router, only the WEP key, not the admin login password.

Upon further investigation, I found that disabling "Internet Connection" released the DHCP of the router, and in order to get internet access back, you would need the password for the router, login and renew the DHCP, as shown in the video.

Is this normal for my laptop to be able to do this?
Member with 604 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Apr-2008, 03:42 AM #2
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

link will tell you all you need to know i.e. exactly what the service you have running is and how to remove it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!