Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: After shutting down router won't connect to net

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Apr-2008, 01:08 PM #1
Question Solved: After shutting down router won't connect to net
I know I am a bit of a freak, but I shut off my computers and modems and the whole lot when I am not using them at night. Throught the day just put them to sleep. It all adds up you know.

I recently set up a home network and after a week and a half of fighting with the router and one RMA I got it all to work and it worked great with no dropped connections for 2 whole days, even after turning it all off at night and turning it back on in the morning.

NOW.....When I turn the machine and the router on in the morning the LAN says it's hooked up at 100mbps right away, but the internet icon just says "connected" and it is not. I cannot go anywhere on the web or get mail. When it is truly connected it says "connected at 4.2mbps" (my service is only 768 anyway).

I have tried repairing the connection, power cycling the router/modem. Disabling and enabling the network card. I have changed my isp settings from automatic DNS to the isp's provided DNS and back again. I have tried so many things I can't remember them all. Then one magic mix makes it work again and I write it down so I can make sure I remember. But, alas, the next time shut down and turn on everything, or even just reboot the computer and not the router, it is back to no connection, hairpulling and a brand new combination makes it work!

I have tried starting the router first and then the computer, the computer first then the router. Both at the same time. Walking away for an hour and see if it fixes itself after a warm up period.

Nothing works. But it DID work with this setup (shutting down and turning on again) for 2 days! Why did it quit?? Eventually it connects and the connection is strong, fast and does not drop out, but getting connected has become a nightmare.

I am using:
Dell Dimension 8400, 4mb RAM, 2tb of harddrives,
WinXP sp2
Broadcom NetXtreme 57xxx gigabit ethernet card,
TrendNet TEW-632BRP N draft 2 Router,
ISP provided Paradyne ReachDSL Hotwire Modem.

2nd machine is a laptop
ASUS G1 Vista sp1
TrendNet 631 N draft 2 Network card
Wireless connection

The laptop will hook up with a simple single "repair" command, if it even needs that, but the desktop is not playing nice.

All TrendNet can tell me is "Don't turn off the router" even though the first line in my question to them is that was not an option!

So...Can I change this to a static IP so it does not matter if I turn it off? It is DHCP right now and server supplied IP, PPPoe. Is the computer or router not releasing something when I shut down? Is there anything I can do besides leave this array of 17 blinking lights on all night sucking power? (modem, router and keyspan server)

I am pretty advanced with computers, but an absolute noob with home networking and it has been a frustrating battle with TrendNet's crappy customer service. I can supply more info if I have missed something, I just don't know what to do here or what you need for information.

Help??
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,379 posts.

22-Apr-2008, 01:58 PM #2
You calling me a freak since I also power down the computer equipment when I power myself down at night?

In the morning I hit the power strip switch that powers on the modem and router, and proceed to boot whatever PC(s) I want. No problems, and you shouldn't be having any either. Until we get this sorted out make sure to follow the on/boot sequence of modem, then router, then computer(s). But most times the order doesn't really matter.

I'm not too clear on where your connection problem is--ISP to modem? Modem to router? Router to PC?

Suggest you watch the modem LEDs to see it connect to the ISP; then watch the router LEDs to see it get a WAN/Internet connection; then boot the PC(s).

When you "cannot go anywhere on the web or get mail" can you access the router? If so, what does its WAN (Internet connection) status say?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 21 posts.

22-Apr-2008, 02:19 PM #3
The Lan Boot Rom setting in the bios may be enabled thus your lan stays live disabling it sometimes helps also have a look at the smart lan settings too
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

22-Apr-2008, 02:34 PM #4
Greeting fellow freak,

Well, I do the same thing, Modem, Router, printer and a pile of other stuff on a surge protector strip. The important stuff is on a battery back ups (APC). I turn on the strip and power up the computer as a normal day. Turn off the computer then turn off the strip at night. Since the modem and router are on the same strip they start up at the same time. When I was just on the modem it was a 100% uptime successful connection.

The connection problem could be between the Router and the modem, or the pc and the router. Since the laptop hooks to the web through the same router wirelessly, no problem, I almost have to believe it is a problem between the computer and the router.

The router lights all come on as they should. The LAN WAN Power and Status lights as well as the two ports that are hooked up, one going to my keyspan server (neat little unit!) and the one going to my computer. The modem lights are all on properly and the keyspan server lights are all on and the unit will talk to the computer. Again, the laptop has access to everything through the router, including the desktop that I struggle to get back on the web.

When it is being a stinker I can access the router settings page, but not anything on the world wide web. The WAN status page usually says "connecting" and the IP, Subnet and gateway fields are all zeros. When it finally hooks up they are filled in with the appropriate numbers. It will just sit there saying "connecting" until the cows come home, but never connect until I get tired of waiting and reset and or repair/disable/enable the connection a number of times.

I must have some setting wrong, but I followed all the instructions for setting up the router and it did work, at first. I am not used to being beaten by my computer! My family and friends come to me with their problems! I must concede defeat and call on those of you who actually know what you are doing to help me out of this funk!

CH
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

22-Apr-2008, 02:48 PM #5
Where or what are the "smart LAN settings"?
Computer Specs

22-Apr-2008, 04:54 PM #6
"... the laptop has access to everything through the router ..."

But, not when "The WAN status page usually says "connecting" and the IP, Subnet and gateway fields are all zeros," right????

Suggest you check for a firmware upgrade for the router. And then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it. I did not check, but it probably has the option to save (most) configuration settings so that you can restore them after the reset to factory.
Senior Member with 1,428 posts.

22-Apr-2008, 06:17 PM #7
It is not a great setup to put a bunch of equipment on a surge suppressor and use it as a off/on switch. You turn everything on they all suck power at the same time. Depending on your wiring, this creates a brownout condition [low power] that is harmfull to all power supplies.

The next problem with that config is the modem usually takes some time to come up from dead boot. Then you need your router to come up which also takes time. Then you bootup your computers and have internet.

I have seen this type of post many times on the internet. Always came down to if you start the correct equipment in the correct sequence you won't have any issues.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

23-Apr-2008, 08:53 AM #8
Truthfully, I just leave the router on 24/7. Otherwise, my TV doesn't get it's channel guide, and the TiVo as well. Also, when someone turns on one of the laptops and tries to connect, it doesn't work well with the network down.
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

13-May-2008, 12:31 PM #9
I thought I had it whipped by always turning the computer off first, then the router. Then turning on the router first, then the computer. It worked perfectly.........for a while.

The router has the latest firmware, I updated it right when I got it. I have done a factory reset a couple of times and re-entered my settings.

The dang thing will start up and work great 5 days out of 6 now, and of course the 6th will be the day the hubby wants to use it and I have to make it go for him, which has to stop since he does not have the patience I have for trouble shooting. I am not so sure I have it anymore either

As far as what is on the surge/power strip, it is the modem, router, keyspan server, printer, speakers and scanner. The printer, speakers and scanner are off with their own power buttons so they do not come on when I turn the switch on the strip. All that comes on is the modem, keyspan server and router. Not exactly a load. Since there are no buttons to turn any of these on or off I am pretty limited in how to control them.

What is so hard to figure out is why it works perfectly for days, then like today I fired it up and it would not hook to the internet again. I rebooted the computer, no go. Rebooted the modem, no go. Power cycled the modem and router, no go. Reset the adapters, no go. Tried all of them again, no go. Rebooted the computer one last time and it hooked up. This is driving me crazy. There has to be something in my setup that is wrong.

If it mattered the order the router and modem come on, why would it work most of the time and not others?

Any new ideas for me to try?

Thanks for all your suggestions so far.
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

13-May-2008, 12:33 PM #10
You are correct, the laptop does not hook up when the WAN says "connecting", but once that is connected the laptop hooks up, but the desktop may or may not.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

13-May-2008, 12:45 PM #11
just an FYI, although it says on Local Area Network "CONNECTED" that doesnt mean that you already have connection to the internet. That is just a connection from the computer to the router. If it's ok it will definetely says connected. You will not know if the internet is working unless you will do a PING command on CMD prompt. If it says connected and you are connected to the router and the modem is hooked up to the router. it could be the modem is not connected to the internet or it could be a software problem on the computer. If you have another computer and using the same modem and router and has internet, definetely. It could be on the computer end. There could be a problem with the browser or something is blocking the website that's why it's not displaying the webpage. Sometimes, windows updates blocks internet as well because of some changes made on the computer settings or registry. A firewall or intenret security can be caused of that as well. So doing some troubleshooting will fix it.
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

13-May-2008, 01:07 PM #12
I have the icons for the LAN and WAN in my tray so I can check them. The LAN hooks up right away and always works, I can hover over it and it says "Local Area Connection, Speed: 100.0 Mbps, Status: Connected.

The other icon is for the WAN or internet. When it is not working hovering over it it just says "connected". When it is actually connected through the gateway to the internet and working it says "Internet Connection, Speed 4.2 Mbps, Status: Connected".

When it is truly connected I can go to any web page or check mail through outlook, when it just says "connected" I cannot go to any web page or check mail, but I can work between my two computers on the LAN.
Senior Member with 202 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-May-2008, 01:14 PM #13
Maybe a faulty NIC. Have you tried replacing it?
Computer Specs

13-May-2008, 04:48 PM #14
Do you have the latest firmware for the router?

What is the WAN icon (post #12)? Is this some utility that came with the router?

Do you get this problem when only the desktop is on?

Some explanation for my 1st and 3rd questions above: I got a Belkin draft 2 N router recently and the first thing on the Quick Install Guide was a warning to check for a firmware upgrade before really trying to do anything. I have had no ongoing problems with it except when using a draft 1 N USB adapter on one laptop. With that after about 1/2 hour things get weird--internet is lost and sometimes I can't ping the router and other times I can. Once the router's status said that there was no modem--but the modem had a connection and the cable between them was good. That time the only way I got it working was by turning everything off for awhile and then powering on the modem first. Every other time turning on modem and router at same time has worked. When I have had these problems no other computer was on so I don't know if others would have been affected.

The point to the previous paragraph is to encourage you to check for firmware upgrades, to suggest that these N routers may be more "sensitive" to some things, and to try to isolate whether these problems only happen when the wireless is being used.
Computer Specs

13-May-2008, 04:48 PM #15
Do you have the latest firmware for the router?

What is the WAN icon (post #12)? Is this some utility that came with the router?

Do you get this problem when only the desktop is on?

Some explanation for my 1st and 3rd questions above: I got a Belkin draft 2 N router recently and the first thing on the Quick Install Guide was a warning to check for a firmware upgrade before really trying to do anything. I have had no ongoing problems with it except when using a draft 1 N USB adapter on one laptop. With that after about 1/2 hour things get weird--internet is lost and sometimes I can't ping the router and other times I can. Once the router's status said that there was no modem--but the modem had a connection and the cable between them was good. That time the only way I got it working was by turning everything off for awhile and then powering on the modem first. Every other time turning on modem and router at same time has worked. When I have had these problems no other computer was on so I don't know if others would have been affected.

The point to the previous paragraph is to encourage you to check for firmware upgrades, to suggest that these N routers may be more "sensitive" to some things, and to try to isolate whether these problems only happen when the wireless is being used.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!