Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Need to set up a strong wireless network between two buildings

(!)

Member with 120 posts.

Experience: Always Learning
01-May-2008, 04:47 PM #1
Need to set up a strong wireless network between two buildings
I have a client who wants to network the 2 new computers that he will be purchasing for an office across the street from his current office with the 4 computers in his current office.

There are three possibilities that I thought of on how to do this:

1. Set up a wireless network
2. Set up a wired network, and have someone run an ethernet cord across the telephone poles like ATT did for their new phone lines
3. Se up a new network where their "server" would be an online server that all the computers would access and save their data to in real time

The best option would be a wireless network, and that is what he chose to start with.

It is an auto body shop, and I did warn him that it might not be the best type of business in which to have a wireless network, but he wanted to go ahead and give it a shot. The two buildings where the offices are are quite close to each other. I would say they are 30 - 40 feet apart. The walls are made of cement, however the doors will always be open, or at least be open 99% of the time.

He says that the access points could be mounted on the walls on the outside of the building, as they have protection from the rain via a roof canopy and roof. However, I'm not sure how it would weather a windy rain storm where the rain would be coming from all directions. But that does not happen too often here in Southern California.

If we were to mount them on the outside walls of the offices, then I'm thinking it could have a wireless N router inside the office where the modem is, have an access point (wireless N) right outside the office posted on the outside wall of the office repeating the signal of the router, and then have another wireless N access point posted on the outside wall of the other office across the street that would be repeating the signal of the 1st access point.

What equipment (make and model) would you suggest for this situation. I need something reliable and durable.

Opinions? Suggestions? Would you suggest another way of setting it up?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

01-May-2008, 05:17 PM #2
I'd use external antennas and mount the AP inside. For N and maximum speed connections between the two locations, you'll probably want to use directional antennas, you'll need three for each end. If the link speed can be 802.11g speeds, just one antenna on each end will do the trick.

Hereis a typical example, you can find other manufacturers with similar offerings. [HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit
Member with 120 posts.

01-May-2008, 05:32 PM #3
OK. Thanks. Any suggestions on make and models of the epuipment?

Also, I called Linksys, and they suggested that the WRT600N would be sufficient on its own. What do you think?
Computer Specs

01-May-2008, 07:13 PM #4
It really depends on the exact location, the distance between the buildings, the construction of the exterior walls, and the environment regarding other interfering signals. There is no way that Linksys can positively state that it won't need any help, I'm somewhat surprised that anyone with a brain would do so.

Also, you're probably going to want this to work in all kinds of weather, heavy rain or snow can adversely affect the transmission.
Member with 120 posts.

01-May-2008, 07:21 PM #5
I agree. Not sure why she assured me that it would work. However, I am in Southern California and rain is hard to come by, and snow is foreign to us. So, not many worries there.

Would you suggest that I try the WRT600N first, and then go from there?

The high gain antenna that you suggested is nowhere to be found in any online stores. Do you have another that you would suggest? Is this something that could be hooked up to the WRT600N, or would I need to get an access point as well if I were to get the antenna?

And which access point would you suggest? WAP54G? That's the one the lady from Linksys suggested to go with the WRT600N. She said they did not have any wireless N access points.
Computer Specs

02-May-2008, 07:49 AM #6
Try this site: http://www.hdcom.com/2.4ghzantennas.html

An example of what I'm talking about: http://www.wirelessnetworkproducts.c...S&Category=257

There are more of them there.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!