Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Duplicate Name on the Network?

(!)

Member with 164 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-May-2008, 12:39 PM #1
Solved: Duplicate Name on the Network?
Hello, I have been going nuts since Friday. I am trying to figure out which settings on a Sonicwall 1260 Pro could cause this Duplicate name on the network error on every machine in our network.

I have tried a bunch of things to fix this error but can not figure out what could be the issue. I followed the few threads i could find here and elsewhere to try and fix the problem. I am thinking there was a setting changed on our router sometime ago that did not take affect until the router was restarted on Thursday night. That is when the problem seemed to start. There was a challenge from a remote DC over a Site-to-Site VPN to our local DC that took the master browser from our network. So now anytime someone reboots we get a Duplicate name on the the network. I did change a setting in the DCs registry that makes it the MasterBrowser and rebooted it, but that has not made a difference. The only thing i can think of now is to shut down every machine in the network bring up the DC then the rest. But if the setting has not been changed on the router, then i will have the same issue again.

I am basically asking for help for where to look in the Sonicwall. We do not have a WINS server and use DNS instead. All our machines are XP or Server 2003, so there was no reason to put WINS on the network. I do not want to disable the netbios settings on each workstation, we do have users who like to browse my network places for shares on other computers.

Any help is appreciated. Hopefully this is all the info you need to help. If not please ask and i will provide. Thank you.
Account Disabled with 5,809 posts.

07-May-2008, 01:02 PM #2
if the machines have the same name, they show up as dupes on bootup. change the names.

i run wired/wireless, pc's/laptops and see it when i boot up as all the machines have the same name from when they were setup.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,068 posts.

07-May-2008, 02:03 PM #3
How many machines? If you don't have a lot of machines, it may just be easier to go around and individually check them.
Member with 164 posts.

07-May-2008, 02:10 PM #4
None of the machines have the same name. I am in a domain environment with about 26 machines total. Even if i try to change the machines name to anything, it tells me duplicate name.
Member with 164 posts.

07-May-2008, 02:17 PM #5
I am getting this in all the system event logs on the network.

EventID: 4321 Source: NetBT

The name "any name :0" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address 192.168.101.5. The machine with the IP address 0.3.204.51 did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

07-May-2008, 04:54 PM #6
That appears to be a pretty strange IP address, I think something broken there.
Member with 164 posts.

07-May-2008, 05:28 PM #7
I don't think it is a valid IP, but i fixed the problem. I went into Group Policy and disabled the computer browser service and waited for it to push to everyones machine. After i was sure every computer on the network had that service disabled, i made sure the DC had the registry entry that made it the browser master. Then i changed the group policy back to enable the service and rebooted all of the machines. I am no longer getting the Duplicate name error or the NetBT error in the event log. Also i can see all of the machines that have been rebooted in My Network Places.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

07-May-2008, 07:35 PM #8
Works for me.

You can mark your own threads solved using the button at the top of the page in the upper left corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Duplicate Name on the Network?-.jpg  
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!