Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Network keeps dropping connection at random

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

11-May-2008, 06:53 AM #1
Network keeps dropping connection at random
Any help will be much appriciated.

This all started around 4 years ago, i was on a different PC with windows XP, i used to be big into online gaming especially Quake 3 in which i played in leagues / cups even as far as to play for the UK team however suddenly my network took a sudden turn for the worse. At random moments my connection would just go off. Somtimes it would happen once per 3 hours, somtimes it would drop then after unplugging in/out my router it would again go off 10 minutes later.

This randomness caused me to have to quit online gaming.

It persisted over the last 4 years however i wasnt too concerned when a website went off, but having recently got back into online gaming namly lotr online and call of duty 4 i simply cant handle it anymore and need to finally find a solution.

I used to use a linksys router and because i believed that to be the problem i changed to a netgear. The problem hasnt changed one bit.

I have 3 PCs connected to the netgear box and when the internet drops it drops on all of them. I recently got a new PC hoping that wud fix it, i also upgraded to windows vista.. but the problem still occurs. Fortunatly this vista has a built in diagnostic function and the results of the diagnostic are usually either 'cannot communicate with primary DNS server' or 'windows confirms DNS server is online but cannot connect at this time'

My network should be configured properly as a friend came to install the new netgear box and hes into computers and knows his stuff, unfortunatly at the time he was here i forgot to mention the connection dropping issue.

Here is an /ipconfig thing if this helps

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\USERS\RICKY>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::cc9a:655c:4517:99cc%8
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.136
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:d5c7:a2ca:1c10:1d09:adfb:888e
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1c10:1d09:adfb:888e%9
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

C:\USERS\RICKY>

Im not sure what other infortmation is needed but just ask if you need to know anything.

Thanks in advance

Edit* It has just taken me 45 mins to get back onto this website due to 'page cannot be displayed' also i occasionally do MSN troubleshoots and it says somtimes 'default gateways offline' other times' DNS server offline' other times 'Key ports offline'

I have also recieved an email with a reply to this post yet its not showing up on the post itself?! Nor is this post in the forum listing?!

Last edited by Ricky^uk; 11-May-2008 at 07:43 AM..
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 10 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-May-2008, 07:10 AM #2
I am currently facing the same problem since past 3 days the Only solution that i have found that lessened the frequency of dropped connections is to use a signal attenuator to get cable signal powerlevels into specified range.... though i still have the problem.

i am going to try replacing my cable modem tomorrow to see if that is the problem.
will keep u guys posted about it.
Junior Member with 11 posts.

11-May-2008, 07:45 AM #3
Network drops every 15 minutes
I have exactly the same problem.. every 15 mins drops for 30 seconds often longer upto 10 minutes.. its horrible as it totally disrupts everything.. online gaming is IMPOSSIBLE!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,556 posts.

11-May-2008, 10:20 AM #4
Do you get this problem when connected directly to the modem?

Sometimes router disconnect problems can be solved by upgrading to the latest firmware, reset to factory default settings and reconfigure.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

11-May-2008, 03:20 PM #5
I've merged your two threads, please do not post duplicate messages for the same issue.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!