Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Port Forwarding Won't Forward

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

24-May-2008, 04:58 AM #1
Port Forwarding Won't Forward
I need to set up port forwarding for a DVR system. My equipment includes Embarq/ZyXel 660 & Linksys BEFDSR41W (ver 4.2) with the latest firmware.

I tried using the "standard" router Gaming/Applications setup but with no luck. I changed the static ip of the computer to a different address, re-set the modem and router and even tried it with a different router but with no luck.

Today I contacted support (Linksys) who suggested that I enable DMZ so I did but nothing happened. I contacted them again and they said to enable "Accepting anonymous requests" on the router so I did and nothing happened.

A few more things I tries were to turn the modem into bridge mode which locked me out of the Internet and lastly I tried to turn off Firewall on the modem with no luck.

In most tests on the above configurations, my forwarding tests returned "Timed out". With firewall turned off on the modem I got "Refused".

PS. To test configurations I used CanYouSeeme.org and DSLReports online tool.

Please help.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

24-May-2008, 09:33 AM #2
You have two routers there, probably why you have a problem. I'd suggest putting the Embarq 660 in bridge mode if you need to port forward for applications. An alternate method is to do the port forwarding in the Embarq and configure the secondary router as follows, though I prefer the first method if possible.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!