Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

range extender for public wifi

(!)

Member with 40 posts.

16-Jul-2008, 02:23 PM #1
range extender for public wifi
the city I work in offers free public wifi downtown, I have a very weak signal indoors (brick building), if I go out I can get a strong enough signal to connect to the internet. would a wireless range extender give me a better signal?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,122 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Jul-2008, 02:49 PM #2
I use a Hawkins amplified signal booster in our motorhome(has metal skin) when we are in a park with wifi and need a stronger signal. It is # HWU8DD - Hi-Gain™ USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter It works very well.
You can find it at www.hawkingtech.com
Worth checking into anyway. It looks like a minature satellite dish. It attaches via USB
vicks
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

16-Jul-2008, 03:34 PM #3
Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!