Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

D-Link Extreme N DIR-655 Router Question

(!)

Computer Specs
Senior Member with 293 posts.

16-Jul-2008, 10:49 PM #1
Question D-Link Extreme N DIR-655 Router Question
Just upgraded my network from a standard G to a D Link Extreme N network. Everything is working fine, I just had a question about the router. When I log into the router, and look at the status page, it says the time is: Sunday, February 01, 2004 7:49:11 AM.

This is clearly not the time and is way off. Is there a way I can change this? Could it be cuasing any issues? I have tried to change it, but cannot figure out how to do it. My firmware is all up to date...just thought i'd add that in there.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,897 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Jul-2008, 11:21 PM #2
You have to do a little trick to set it correctly.

Uncheck the box in the middle that says Enable NTP server. At the bottom, click the button that says "Copy your Computer's Time Settings." Now click Save Settings at the top. If you don't click it now, the settings will change right back. You will not need to reboot the router.

Finally, click the checkbox in the middle to use an NTP server. I suggest you use tock.usno.navy.mil for your time server. Click Save Settings again.

You should now be good.

Courtney
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 293 posts.

16-Jul-2008, 11:32 PM #3
thanks a lot, got everything set. what is the NTP Server? It was unchecked by default for me. If I check it there is a drop down list and it gives me:

ntp1.dlink.com
ntp.dlink.com.tw

What one do I use and what do they do anyway? I think u can also manually type one in.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

17-Jul-2008, 08:18 AM #4
NTP - Network Time Protocol

I'd use the ntp1.dlink.com address since you're in the US. Personally, I use time-b.nist.gov for my time setting on systems here.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!