Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Problem Authenticating/Connecting Laptop To Wireless Network

(!)

Member with 158 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Jul-2008, 11:20 AM #1
Question Solved: Problem Authenticating/Connecting Laptop To Wireless Network
G'day,

I've got a wireless network at home that works without a problem. The two computers I have running on it run Microsoft Windows Vista, and there's a third computer running Microsoft Windows XP. The third computer, however, is having a problem connecting to the wireless network (it has only had this problem since I recently reinstalled the operating system).

Now, it detects the wireless network but rejects the password despite the fact that I am entering it correctly and it is definitely the correct password. The error message it gives me when I attempt to enter the password is as follows:

Quote:
The network password needs to be 40bits of 104bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters.
If anyone is able to provide me with some assistance I would greatly appreciate it.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

19-Jul-2008, 01:25 PM #2
Well, the exact model of the wireless adapter would be useful here. Also, are you using WEP or WPA encryption? If it's WEP, did you use the passphrase option or the HEX key option? You should use only the HEX key option for entering keys.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,897 posts.

19-Jul-2008, 01:48 PM #3
If you're using WPA encryption perhaps you don't have the latest driver (the one that updates it for WPA) for your wireless adapter.
Member with 158 posts.

19-Jul-2008, 07:32 PM #4
I'm using WPA2-Personal security type.

Also, the wireless adapter is the Atheros AR5004X Wireless Network Adapter, of which I struggled to find the correct driver so I'm not sure it'd be easy to find an update for it.
Computer Specs

20-Jul-2008, 01:04 PM #5
The message you're getting indicates that your driver does not support WPA, and thinks it's connecting to a WEP encrypted AP. That's the only reason for that specific message. I'm pretty sure this is a driver issue.

What is the make/model of the laptop? I'm assuming this is the internal wireless we're talking about here?
Member with 158 posts.

20-Jul-2008, 10:42 PM #6
The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A70 and yes, it's an internal wireless.

I appreciate your help, by the way.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,897 posts.

21-Jul-2008, 07:20 AM #7
You should have the latest driver for the wireless from Toshiba's web site.
Computer Specs

21-Jul-2008, 07:31 AM #8
There are many versions of the Satellite A70, you'll have to be specific as to the model number. Terry is right, you need the latest driver, as I'm pretty sure yours is simply too old to support WPA.

What version and patch level of Windows are you running? WPA support was also added to XP in SP2. Finally, you say you're running WPA2, and I suspect that could be a problem as well. Try WPA, since many adapters support WPA, but not WPA2, which requires different hardware.
Member with 158 posts.

21-Jul-2008, 08:23 AM #9
The thing is, this laptop with the same wireless adapter was using the exact same wireless network without a problem prior to me reinstalling the operating system, so I know that it is compatible with the way the wireless network is configured.

As for the model number, it is PSA70A-008001 and it's operating Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3.
Computer Specs

21-Jul-2008, 02:52 PM #10
I don't find that model on the Toshiba site, so I'm not sure what you have. The indications are that it doesn't recognize the encryption you're using. Humor me and try WPA and not WPA2.
Member with 158 posts.

21-Jul-2008, 06:43 PM #11
Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I go about changing the wireless network to WPA from WPA2?

The other two computers that are currently using the wireless network are using Microsoft Windows Vista, if that's of any help in describing what I should do next.
Computer Specs

21-Jul-2008, 06:56 PM #12
Well, without knowing the make/model of the router, I can only give generic instructions. Navigate to the router's setup screens, and it's on the wireless configuration pages.
Member with 158 posts.

22-Jul-2008, 03:04 AM #13
That seems to have done the trick beautifully! Thank you so, so much for all of your help!
Computer Specs

22-Jul-2008, 07:32 AM #14
No problem, glad you got it sorted out.
Member with 158 posts.

22-Jul-2008, 07:44 AM #15
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!