Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Modem randomly disconnects.

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jul-2008, 06:58 PM #1
Modem randomly disconnects.
My internet has been very jumpy this past month. Almost every day, at any random period of time it will disconnect, reconnect, 5 minutes later, disconnect, reconnect, rinse and repeat.

But this is certain times of the day, usually 3 or 4 times in a day this will start happening, the rest of the time I can stay on for 5 hours or more.

And as I am typing this it has, once again, happened again. Could it be a problem with my modem getting random disconnects?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,420 posts.

30-Jul-2008, 08:32 PM #2
Have you checked with your ISP to see if they are having serious problems?

What kind of internet access do you have?

What is the brand and model of the modem? What LEDs does it have, and what do they show when these disconnects happen?

30-Jul-2008, 10:50 PM #3
I haven't checked with my ISP yet about it.

My ISP is Verizon Internet Services.

The modem is WESTELL Model 327W. Whenever the internet kicks off the DSL LED will start flashing, and the "globe" (internet) LED will be completely off, once the DSL light stays solid green either I can access the modem itself to reconnect to the Internet or the "internet" light will turn red, rendering it useless until it goes away or turns green.

Hope that made some sense.
Member with 33 posts.

30-Jul-2008, 11:32 PM #4
Check if the DSL wire is connected properly. If the wire is lose this may happen. This could very well be a problem from ISP too.

31-Jul-2008, 12:12 AM #5
Nothing's loose, everything is fit perfect where it should be.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
31-Jul-2008, 01:05 AM #6
Are you on DSL or Dial -UP? If you are idle too long on dial-up, you will get a disconnection. I used to have to test on line, and had to use the internet radio to keep from having idle time. If you are using DSL, your braod band width maynot be sufficient. Also, if your using the phone that your DSL is running on, that can cause a problem as well. I'm using ATT and they want me to increase my broad band width to solve the phone/DSL usage. Hope this helps

31-Jul-2008, 02:03 AM #7
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I already stated I had DSL earlier in the thread. Also one of the reasons DSL was even invented was to circumvent the disconnects caused by phone usage, so it probably is not my phone that's doing it.
Computer Specs

31-Jul-2008, 08:18 AM #8
Wink Annoying disconnects
I had Verizon DSL. 1st, the modem is not always on. 2nd the speed depends on where you are in relation to the hub. The further away you are, the worse the service. 3rd unless you are FIOS, you are still on the phone line and subject to use issues. I switched to Cavalier and haven't had any problems. same lines, different modem/servers. lower price.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Jul-2008, 09:25 AM #9
That sounds like a problem Verizon is having in your area especially if it can run ok for 5 hours and then not. I would contact them.
Computer Specs

31-Jul-2008, 10:35 AM #10
Angry Dropped Connections
I did contact Verizon. Like with Comcast, they recommend you upgrade to a higher level (Like FIOS). The last straw was when I switched from Verizon MSN to Verizon Yahoo and it crashed my system. The fix was to have my system switched back to MSN. Verizon refused to make any changes for 90 days. So I paid for non working DSL for 90 days. Then my contract ran out and I switched to Cavalier. Been fine ever since, with good tech support. Oh, yes Verizon now contacts me at least once per month to ask me to come back, or connect to FIOS.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,420 posts.

31-Jul-2008, 12:38 PM #11
OK, from what you described it definitely sounds like the modem is disconnecting from the DSL service. This could be an ISP problem, a problem with the phone company's lines, a problem with the modem, a problem with your wiring or a defective or missing filter.

If you have one of those interface boxes (called NIDs?) outside that allow you to disconnect your interior wiring it would be good to connect your modem there to determine whether the problem is, or is not, with your wiring and filters.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
annoying, disconnects, random, times

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!