Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Need Ethernet Inline Switch

(!)

Junior Member with 15 posts.

01-Aug-2008, 05:43 PM #1
As a security device I have an RJ45 coupler in the cable between my computer and internet modem, and I only couple the two cable segments when I need to be online. Needless to say eventually the cable connector breaks and I have to replace the cable segment. I could really use a simple inexpensive inline on/off switch to replace the coupler between the two cable segments, but can't find such a thing. Can anyone help? Thks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,000 posts.

01-Aug-2008, 07:02 PM #2
For inexpensive you could disable the ethernet connection (in Network Connections) or use a firewall.

Next time you buy a modem look for one with a Standby button; all Motorola cable modems seem to have one.
Junior Member with 15 posts.

01-Aug-2008, 08:37 PM #3

Thks, TerryNet. I know there are work-arounds but that's not what I want. I have a good firewall, but nothing is as good as a physical disconnect. I know about disabling in Network Connections, but I don't want to have to go in and out of control panel every time I hook up and unhook. And even that's not as good as a complete physical disconnect. It's also much slower to implement, and if my system appears to be under attack I can break the cable connection in a second or two.

Your point about a switchable modem is good, and I could achieve the same effect wiring up something to power the whole modem up and down, but it seems a bit clunky and the ISP owns the modem, not me, and I would be held responsible if it's damaged.

Basically I'm not looking for a solution to this "problem"; I already have the 2nd best one, which means replacing a short Ethernet cable every few months, after it's been connected and disconnected a few hundred times. What I want is the very best one - a physical switch designed to be turned on and off many tens of thousands of times.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!