Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Comcast Internet Constantly Disconnects

(!)

Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,710 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Aug-2008, 07:00 PM #1
Solved: Comcast Internet Constantly Disconnects
I'm constantly getting disconnected on my Comcast Internet. (It's my primary connection, but I do have a VZW BroadbandAccess as a secondary and for when I commute/go on the road, etc.) This has always happened, but mostly stopped after I switched to a 5-2200mhz 4-Way splitter about 6 months ago. Before that, the disconnects would be like every ten days. Now, it's happening every few hours. Sometimes it resolves itself, sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect the modem from the cable line (powercycling doesn't do it). My cable modem is a real pain to get to, being at the bottom of a rack in my crawlspace. It's on a cheap 650VA UPS with the router and some switches.

It always fails on establishing send channels. Can tell that from the logs. (Which I can't seem to access anymore, but that's what it always used to be).

Modem: SB5100
ISP: Comcast, Chicago.
Router: WRT54G v. 6 on DD-WRT, but it doesn't really matter. Does the same thing when connected to my RouterBoard but that's not setup the way I want it yet .
Other Stuff: Airport Express as AP/Print Server/Speakers with DHCP turned off.

Should I just order a new modem? Any recommendations? Would a bidir cable amplifier before the splitter help?

Last edited by avisitor; 25-Aug-2008 at 07:10 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,536 posts.

25-Aug-2008, 09:09 PM #2
Quote:
It always fails on establishing send channels.
When that exact thing happens to me it's almost always a coax connection. A couple times it was the connection of the modem cable to the wall jack--rubbing off a little invisible oxidation with a pencil eraser and reconnecting was the fix. Three or four times (I'm an slow learner ) it was a visibly rusted connection outside where the cable company's line meets my cable and the ground connection. (Petroleum jelly, electrical tape and duct tape have that pretty well under control now.)

In short, check all the coax connections beginning at the modem.

Occasionally the problem was ISP, but usually an ISP problem is indicated (on my system) with failure to get a solid Receive signal.
Computer Specs

25-Aug-2008, 09:18 PM #3
All right, next time it goes out (which will probably be in a few minutes), I'll go take an eraser and clean all the connectors. (Should I just put new F connectors on? I have a bunch...)

I'll change the grounding block outside tomorrow. Gotta get a new one.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,536 posts.

25-Aug-2008, 09:48 PM #4
If it were daylight I'd say start with the outside. Doubt that you need new F connectors, unless one looks really bad.
Computer Specs

25-Aug-2008, 09:50 PM #5
I'll check outside tomorrow. I could do it with a flashlight, but... It's not that it isn't bright enough in the city at night. Way too much light pollution . You're lucky to be far enough away from it all so that you can actually see some stars, not just whatever airplane happens to be landing at O'Hare .
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

26-Aug-2008, 07:16 PM #6
If it's a Comcast modem, I'd have them fix it.
Computer Specs

26-Aug-2008, 07:18 PM #7
I've called Comcast so many times it's not funny. I changed the grounding block and haven't had any disconnections since. Must have been corroded or otherwise interfering with the connection.

So, I think it's solved, but not absolutely sure...
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

26-Aug-2008, 07:31 PM #8
That's good.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!