Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

ThinkPad T30 won't connect to wireless LAN

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 26 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Sep-2008, 12:29 PM #1
ThinkPad T30 won't connect to wireless LAN
Good day all.

I just got a refurbished ThinkPad T30 and cannot get it hookup to an (Apple) Airport wireless LAN using a LinkSys WRT110 router. The T30 contains both a Cisco PCI wireless LAN adapter and an Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection (both shown working in Device Manager). (Borrowed PC with XP Pro connects immediately to my LAN, so it is not an Apple/PC problem).
When I try to View Available Wireless Networks, I get a message saying Windows can't configure and suggesting using another program. When I open Wireless Connection Status
for the adapter [where I changed settings to those of my LAN] I get a message that "IBM Access Connections is managing the configuration of your wireless network." I have tried to create a location in Access Connections that mirrors the configuration in the LAN adapter, but it does not connect.
Thanks in advance for saving the life of this blameless computer.
Ed
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

01-Sep-2008, 08:33 PM #2
Try connecting it with a wired connection.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,385 posts.

01-Sep-2008, 08:58 PM #3
With "IBM Access Connections" do you detect your network signal? If so, what happens when you try to connect to it?
Computer Specs

01-Sep-2008, 11:58 PM #4
Solved
Thank you both for your prompt replies.
Computer Specs

02-Sep-2008, 11:49 AM #5
What was the solution?
Computer Specs

02-Sep-2008, 02:16 PM #6
Solution
Hi John:

The solution was to realize, when I connected by wire to the net, that the seller had not kept the computer up to date. So, I downloaded a bunch of stuff, including updates for the IBM connection agent. Rebooted and, without any action by me, the laptop connected to the Airport network and all is well-- for now, at least.

Thanks.

Ed
Computer Specs

02-Sep-2008, 07:12 PM #7
Glad it all worked out.

You can mark your own threads solved using the button at the top of the page in the upper left corner.
Computer Specs

03-Sep-2008, 03:49 PM #8
"Mission" not "Accomplished"
I fear I declared "Mission Accomplished" too soon. I moved my ThinkPad T30 (WinXP) to another part of my office, where it was able initially to link to my Apple Airport network. Then it lost the network. I rebooted the Mac, checked the network (Airport) connection to my Linksys WRT110 router, and connected it to my partner's laptop (PC) without incident. When I tried to do the same with the ThinkPad, I first got the Windows notification that some other program was running my wireless connections. I then open "IBM Access Connections" and it was able to "find" my Airport network by name, but not connect to it. The only reason I can think of is that there is an initial WEP password. But, I got no notification that that was the problem and no opportunity to enter a password.
I have a feeling that maybe I should disable (?) the IBM Access Connections and just try to work with XP. But, I only know enough to be dangerous, so I still need help.
Thanks,

Ed
Computer Specs

03-Sep-2008, 07:08 PM #9
Delete your network's profile from the IBM utility. Else disable encryption on the AP and try to connect. Assuming success you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect.
Computer Specs

04-Sep-2008, 05:56 PM #10
ThinkPad T30 won't connect to wireless Mac network
Hi Terry:

I believe I did what you suggested, and I made some progress. The IBM Access Connections now can find my network and lists it by name. But, when I click the radio button and then hit "connect" it doesn't. WEP security has been eliminated at both ends, so I don't know what's wrong. The router and the laptop are 4 feet from one another.

Ed
Computer Specs

04-Sep-2008, 07:04 PM #11
Make sure XP's WZC is not running: Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - Wireless Zero Configuration should not be 'Started' and its Startup Type should be 'Disabled.'

If still have trouble, shut down the other utility and try WZC.
Computer Specs
Member with 49 posts.

04-Sep-2008, 07:11 PM #12
Try re-installing the software on the tp and make sure that you have a stable connection. If you run into no problems, try setting up a wired connection (which you can do with the LinkSys WRT110 router). You could also try downloading this program: http://www.download.com/Wireless-Net...dlPid=10379365

Hope it helps!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
wireless connection

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!