Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

wireless missing on my laptop

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: 472
18-Sep-2008, 09:01 PM #1
Question wireless missing on my laptop
I was using the wireless connection last year. No problems. Switched to a sprint wireless card for a while..now trying to switch back to my regular wireless. No wireless adapter shows up on device manager at all ( I know it was there before). I have reinstalled the broadcom drivers from the restore options...still no sign of wireless. Only the Nvidia network adapter, no wireless at all. Any ideas?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

19-Sep-2008, 09:11 AM #2
Yep, I'd start in the BIOS and see if the wireless card is disabled there. Next, I'd check and make sure the mini-PCI wireless adapter is seated, normally for laptops it's in one of the removable panels on the bottom of the machine.
Computer Specs

19-Sep-2008, 09:14 AM #3
will try that tonight when I get home...and promise to report back with results. thanks!
Computer Specs

19-Sep-2008, 05:48 PM #4
ok, checked BIOS. only settings i found for adapter was the boot order, and the booting from lan was disabled...i enabled it, and saved settings...no change. I took battery out then took cover off adapter, it's there and doesnt appear to be loose or disconnected. still clueless. I am wondering if something in the sprint software for the wireless card damaged/disabled the original adapter.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

19-Sep-2008, 07:55 PM #5
The adapter may have simply died since you used it last.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,413 posts.

19-Sep-2008, 08:39 PM #6
There are no warnings, errors or unknown devices in your Device Manager, right?
Computer Specs

19-Sep-2008, 10:23 PM #7
right, no yellow dots, exclamation marks or question marks...everything that shows up works fine, and the wireless adapter simply isnt showing up. do you think crashing and reloading the OS may work? willing to try it.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,897 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Sep-2008, 10:27 PM #8
First of all, boot to LAN has nothing to do with the wireless adapter. Is there a key combination on your keyboard that enables the adapter? Is there a switch?

Courtney
Computer Specs

19-Sep-2008, 10:34 PM #9
yes, there is a switch on the front, toggled it every direction imaginable with no results. the light next to it is amber...
Computer Specs

20-Sep-2008, 08:56 AM #10
Sounds like the adapter has failed. It can be replaced.
Computer Specs

20-Sep-2008, 02:28 PM #11
I looked & found they are relatively cheap...are they easy to install? I saw 2 leads...is that pretty much it? place it properly & connect the leads? I may can do that without screwing it up...LOL.

and thanks everyone for the help...I am clueles with the laptop & quite frankly its small parts & fragility intimidate me.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

20-Sep-2008, 02:32 PM #12
Why not just pick up a pcmia or pc express adapter that plugs in. They are stronger signal and more durable and probably less $.
Computer Specs

20-Sep-2008, 02:39 PM #13
are they really stronger? that would rock. Apparently these internal cards aren't that reliable...seeing all the threads on here that are so similar to mine. I just always assumed the "on board" adapters were better.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

20-Sep-2008, 03:55 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilwine View Post
are they really stronger? that would rock. Apparently these internal cards aren't that reliable...seeing all the threads on here that are so similar to mine. I just always assumed the "on board" adapters were better.
Not at all the pcimia and pc express adapters have a much better signal and some of them have antennas you can point and move as well for better signal. Remember the signal is received by an antenna and the onboard ones have it buried inside the laptop which cannot possibly be as effective as on that is external. You can also find usb adapters with stands and wires that allow a lot of movement around the room you can place for a better signal.
Computer Specs

20-Sep-2008, 05:22 PM #15
If you are going to use the laptop mostly in one place you may find a PCMCIA or USB adapter with external antenna to be better. But for mobility convenience you can't beat an internal adapter.

The antenna leads are along the side of the screen, so their antenna beats any PCMCIA or USB integrated antenna. My Intel 2200bg in my 4 year old Intel laptop is still working well; it has had a fair amount of use the last 3 1/2 years. We don't see many threads started by people wanting to say they haven't had any problems with their integrated wireless, so it's really hard to judge whether they fail any more frequently than other wireless adapters.

Not trying to tell you what to do; but think that this side of the story needs to be told also.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!