Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

New pc not seeing adsl modem router

(!)

Member with 3 posts.

22-Sep-2008, 03:11 AM #1
New pc not seeing adsl modem router
Hi There

Newbie to these forums but have done some research within but can not find answer.

I have just purchased a Dell optiplex sx270 running XP home sp 3 from ebay for a friend.Before giving it I have updated it on my home network connected to my cable modem and router with no problems.

Taking it to her house the pc will not see her Maplin adsl2+ usb modem 4 port router/switch which works fine with her previous pc. I have tried connecting via USB and ethernet to no avail. I just get the cable is disconnected message/low connectivity.Whilst this is happeneing the modem-router looses the adsl light and searches across the 4 inputs.

At this point I found this lovely forum where a common starting point seems to be to do a stack reset so I did this as directed but to no avail.

I have done ip config onto a word document but cant work out how to upload it to here.

However none of the normal ip stuff is on there as it says media disconnected for the local area connection.

Hope you can help

Regards.

Fugi
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

22-Sep-2008, 08:35 AM #2
If it works with a wired connection at your place, and it doesn't work at the new location with a wired connection, there are limited options.
  • The cable is bad.
  • The port on the router is bad.

I'm assuming that other computers connect successfully to this new environment, is that correct?
Member with 3 posts.

23-Sep-2008, 02:52 AM #3
This is the only Pc that is connected. It is puzzling me too. I can't work out why it is picking up DHCP from 1 router but not seeing or picking up from another which has proved to be working.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

23-Sep-2008, 05:06 PM #4
Well, you got me too. Perhaps if I were looking right at it, I'd see something, but I don't see anything obvious from your description.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Sep-2008, 06:09 PM #5
I think JW is right. It has to be either a cable, or the modem itself.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!