Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: "DNS Lookup Error"

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Oct-2008, 12:20 AM #1
Solved: "DNS Lookup Error"
Well, here I go again!
After getting my wireless working from the house to the shop, everything was going great - then - I started getting the "DNS Lookup Error" on almost all web pages I would try. This is happening on all computers.
Sometimes if I click the "reload current page" icon, the page will load. Other times it will not.
Looking at the Linksys router setup page, it shows the DNS as my internet provider. Could be something going on with the sat connection (Hughes Net) I have released and renewed several times and the address comes back the same. Hughes might be having some problems because it was working just fine. I changed nothing anywhere after I got things going so I know it was not me - I think.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

02-Oct-2008, 03:13 PM #2
Many times, ISP's experience DNS issues for a time, they're usually corrected within hours or at least a day or two. You can try an alternate DNS server to see if it resolves the issue, that will tell you if it's the ISP.

Let's try replacing your DNS server. Follow the instructions at OpenDNS for Windows and configure to use OpenDNS for your DNS server. See if that makes a difference.
Computer Specs

03-Oct-2008, 10:43 AM #3
Sorry for the lag in response. Been away a few days.
I forgot about opendns. Thanks for the reminder.
Opendns can't see that I have their IP's on the router. Works fine tho.
Guess I "have a Porsche stuck in first gear" because I can't create an account with them. No problem.
"nslookup www.opendns.com." shows I'm using them. So, all's well that ends well!
Thanks again.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

03-Oct-2008, 05:13 PM #4
You can mark your own threads solved using the button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.
Computer Specs

03-Oct-2008, 06:37 PM #5
Sorry, thought I did.
Thanks.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!