Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

wep key keeps changing on vista

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Oct-2008, 03:29 PM #1
wep key keeps changing on vista
i have two toshiba laptops both fairly new,, with both having vista home premium on them,and both are on the same linksys wireless router to access the internet. now the problem ONLY one of them is having a problem accessing the router. it connects fine but will not get pass the wep key , ,, upon checking the my networks-connection-properties-security tab i find each time that the 10 digit hex key has been changed to a 8 digit key and also sometimes it has been changed from a shared connection to a authentication connection. There are 4 other wireless connection around me that my laptop recognizes could this be the problem ( I don't think it is) and yes i have my connection set up for automatic and I also have a different ssid than the other connections and my other laptop connects automatically and has no problems
1. does vista have default wep key that it uses for wireless connection
2. if not what can be changing my wep key from a 10 digit to a 8 digit key
3. the only difference i ve found in the usage of each laptop is the laptop with the problem is used for chatting on pal talk and msn messager could one of those programs change my key or could someone be hacking me and changing it ,, hhmm i am kinda stumped at what the real problem is.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,470 posts.

19-Oct-2008, 03:35 PM #2
Is the 8 digit key similar to your 10 digit one, completely different, or all asterisks? Sorry to have to ask this, but many times the actual key is represented visually by some set number of asterisks so that shoulder surfers can't tell the number of digits.
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Oct-2008, 12:08 AM #3
it all asterisks and when i highlight it to change it to characters it deletes it when i put a check in the box under the wep key
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!