Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to get my internet into my garage???

(!)

Senior Member with 399 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Nov-2008, 10:48 AM #1
How to get my internet into my garage???
The problem is the internet starts in the classroom at the router, and it needs to go ~120 feet to the garage, through 2 walls. My dads computer needs internet in there for his business (the thick black dot is his laptop)

I think one way around this is to place a wireless access point in the dining room, that can not only recieve wirelessly, but also SEND wirelessly into the garage. (the orange dot signifies where the access point would be placed)

The closest I found to a device like this was a Buffalo WLA-G54C Wireless bridge, but the guy who was selling it cannot find the power adapter, so now I need a new alternative.

Here is the house layout:

so basically, my question is:

Is there such a device, other than that buffalo piece, that can RECIEVE a wireless signal from a router, and then SEND that same signal wirelessly to a further point?
Also, my router is a Buffalo WHR-G54S. it has WDS TECHNOLOGY on it to allow this type on communication of wireless signals

If this comes out to be too expensive, will an N ROUTER siffuce for my needs?
Ablack86 Ablack86 is offline Ablack86 has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 275 posts.

10-Nov-2008, 12:07 PM #2
Sounds like you need a wireless repeater. Here is a link to one by LinkSys.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

You can probably find onne though for much cheaper that still gets the job done. Hope this helps.
Member with 32 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Nov-2008, 12:28 PM #3
Also, if you have an attic, drilling small hole in the ceiling, hide the the bad looking stufff with electric tape, and buy a long interenet cable, thread it through to the attic above the garage.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,992 posts.

10-Nov-2008, 03:07 PM #4
The Airlink AP431w will also work as a repeater or extender. However, avoid using such a device if possible; they are often difficult to set up and slow the network.

120 feet is not too far. Try changing the position of the router and laptop to see if you can get a connection. If so, then you can determine whether the new position is feasible.
Senior Member with 399 posts.

10-Nov-2008, 03:17 PM #5
I'm starting to think its not worth paying $40 into wireless G technology. Should I just spend $100 and get an N Router and PC card for my dads laptop instead?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,992 posts.

10-Nov-2008, 04:25 PM #6
If your problem is "only" distance then 'N' may well be a good solution. Or a high gain antenna at one or both end(s).

If your problem is an obstruction then 'N' may be blocked just as effectively as 'G' (after all, they use the same frequencies).

If you can get a decent signal at that distance by changing the position of the laptop and/or router then your current problem is an obstruction.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

10-Nov-2008, 06:32 PM #7
I'd stick with 802.11g and use hi-gain directional antennas and perhaps a signal booster if the antennas don't do the trick. I have this Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna and it works very well for boosting weak signals in a specific direction.

The Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster is a device which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

If you can locate one or both of the units near an exterior wall, you could consider exterior antennas, which will remove one large obstruction from the path, the wall. This [HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit is one such product.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!