Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Connect two routers over internet

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

21-Nov-2008, 08:15 AM #1
Connect two routers over internet
Hello,
I have 2 routers on different locations with static IP addresess and I want to connect LAN`s for file sharing over internet..The routers are Netgear WGR614 and Edimax BR-6204WG..Can anyone have idea how can I do that??
Thanks
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

21-Nov-2008, 11:48 AM #2
I'd consider a VPN, since I suspect you want your data to be secure.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,723 posts.

Experience: Advanced in Networking
21-Nov-2008, 05:25 PM #3
A tip on connecting 2 routers, you would end up having what's called double NAT, which means if you were opening ports for something it would be rather complex rather than a single NAT.
Senior Member with 1,428 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Nov-2008, 07:36 PM #4
Jason08 Yonass isn't asking about serial teaming the routers. Routers have the internet between them.

Yonass you need routers at each end that support site to site vpn. Just checking on the netgear - doesn't support vpn site to site or vpn as client.

This means you would need to bring up vpn servers at each site and connect them thru the routers.

I would replace both routers with site to site vpn capable routers. I use sonicwalls.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,710 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Nov-2008, 08:20 PM #5
Your lowest cost hardware option is one of these one each end:

http://netgear.com/Products/VPNandSS...rs/FVS114.aspx
zx10guy has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 3,862 posts.

21-Nov-2008, 09:16 PM #6
I wouldn't use the FVS114. My company used that miserable router before I got there. They had purchased a Cisco PIX515E and didn't know how to configure it until I got there to put it in service.

I would look into getting either a FVS318 or a FVS338. The FVS318 has been a proven and very reliable VPN router. It's been out forever. I own the original version 1 iteration of the FVS318 which I bought about 4 or so years ago. It was still working till I finally decommissioned it with the FVS338 I use now. The FVS318 is currently on version 3 with some improvements over the version 1. The FVS338 is also very reliable and has the added advantage of a faster processor and more memory. This translates to faster VPN tunnel performance.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!