Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Says I'm Connected But Can't Get Online?

(!)

Member with 89 posts.

24-Nov-2008, 09:29 PM #1
Says I'm Connected But Can't Get Online?
Hi,

I use a Compaq CQ50-110 laptop with a built-in Atheros (sp?) Wi-Fi card, but since Saturday night I have been having troubles connecting to the internet.

I thought at first that it was my ISP as they are VERY unreliable, but my brother's computer is linked directly to the modem and it is working perfectly.

Then I thought it was a problem with my Wi-Fi card, so I decided to try my old Belkin wireless adapter to see if it could pick up a signal.

It couldn't.

In 'Connect To', it says I am connected but cannot access the internet. I have tried all of the suggestions but so far, they have done nothing.

Little help anyone?

P.S. I've tried connecting to my next-door neighbour's router, but the same thing happened.
dannyn has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 1,689 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Nov-2008, 09:41 PM #2
Seems like a firewall problem.
Start> Run> CMD> Type "ping www.google.com"> copy the first 3 lines of results here.
Member with 89 posts.

24-Nov-2008, 10:20 PM #3
Sorry for the late response; I'm using my brother's computer and he's quite busy.

I did the following and judging by the results, it seems like an XP-only thing.

This is the message I received:
"ping www.google.com" is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

EDIT: Seems like it's NOT a Vista only thing, my brother is using Vista and, after typing in the same thing, I got this (this is only the first three lines):

Pinging www.google.com [74.125.77.104] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.125.77.104: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=242
Reply from 74.125.77.104: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=242
Reply from 74.125.77.104: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=242

Last edited by Dantesgirl; 24-Nov-2008 at 10:25 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 1,894 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Nov-2008, 10:25 PM #4
Get to a command prompt. You can either run "cmd" or select it from the Accessories menu. From that command window, type "ping www.ggogle.com" (without the quotes).

"Ping" is not an XP thingy; it's a TCP/IP thingy. It works on any system that has the TCP/IP protocol installed, even Apple.

Incidentally, when your system says that it is connected, but you cannot get online, the most common problem is that you don't have the proper settings for your wireless connection, specifically, you don't have a valid WEP/WPA key. Second place: you don't have "Automatic" set for your IP address and/or your DNS server.

Courtney
Member with 89 posts.

24-Nov-2008, 10:28 PM #5
The first time I ran Command Prompt, I did ping Google with and without the quotes, but the same thing happened.

Now, after doing it without the quotes, I get this:
Ping request could not find host www.google.com. Please check name and try again.
dannyn has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 1,689 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Nov-2008, 10:47 PM #6
It looks like you can connect to the internet beacuse of the results of this:
Quote:
EDIT: Seems like it's NOT a Vista only thing, my brother is using Vista and, after typing in the same thing, I got this (this is only the first three lines):

Pinging www.google.com [74.125.77.104] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.125.77.104: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=242
Reply from 74.125.77.104: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=242
Reply from 74.125.77.104: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=242
What browser are you using?
Member with 89 posts.

24-Nov-2008, 10:57 PM #7
I use Firefox as my default, but other things such as MSN are affected as well.

Apparently, anything that is connected directly to the router (this computer, the PS3 etc) is unaffected, but anything that has to rely on the router wirelessly suffers - according to my dad's computer, a wireless network in this house doesn't even EXIST.

I have done nothing to interfere with the wireless network, I really don't know what's going on.
Member with 89 posts.

25-Nov-2008, 04:56 AM #8
Here's an update:

My dad managed to fix the problem with the Belkin adapter on his computer using Norton, but my free trial ran out recently, so that pretty much leaves me in the dark.

Apparently something wasn't configured to 'automatic' - that is the only detail he gave me, I'm sorry that I can't be more specific.

Even when my laptop is around three feet from the router, it still won't fully connect. I am so agitated right now.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!