Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Roku Netflix player, can't find LAN

(!)

Member with 30 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Nov-2008, 11:00 AM #1
Solved: Roku Netflix player, can't find LAN
I purchased the Netflix Player from Roku. Contrary to what they claim, it's NOT easy to setup. What they don't tell you is you need to connect it to a router. I don't have a router, I subscribe to Comcast cable internet, and the cable goes to the modem, then the ethernet cord from the modem to the computer. I wasn't going to get a router just to be able to watch the instant movies on my TV, so I offered it to a friend who said he was thinking of getting one.

Friend said what I needed is an ethernet hub. Ok, got a 4-port one from Best Buy, only $20, I can deal with that. It's made by Dynex, and actually has 5 ports in the back, that's the first thing I don't understand.

Looking at the ports in the back of the hub, I'll call them #1-5 from left to right:

Cable connection goes from wall directly to modem, I didn't mess with that. I have an ethernet cable going from computer to port #2, another one from port #5 to the modem, then another one going from port #1 to the Neflix Player. Netflix Player menu comes on the TV, confirms ethernet cable connection, but then says it "can't connect to your local network" and just stops there.

My online access to the internet is ok, I'm typing on it now (obviously), so it's not like there's no internet disconnect.

Of course, the instructions with this "easy" player are scant, no trouble-shooting tips at all. What am I doing wrong here?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

29-Nov-2008, 11:06 AM #2
You need a router. A hub isn't going to work. Your friend was mistaken.

Roku probably didn't say a router was required because it says a network connection is required. You can probably connect the modem directly to the Roku. If you want to use two devices on the same network connection at the same time, you need a router.
Member with 30 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Nov-2008, 12:44 PM #3
The short answer is you're correct, you need a router.

The long answer is the player can be connected directly to the modem, but it's a real PITA process involving Roku tech support (who are very good, I have to add, very knowledgeable and patient) in conference with Netflix support. Got it to work, but to switch back to using my PC, have to unplug everything, wait, plug it back in, reboot. But then, you have to go back through the PITA process with the player again! Not as simple as just switching the ethernet cord from one to the other as needed.

Not worth it, I'll just get a router, I saw some on sale at Best Buy for $40, I'll just exchange the hub and another $20.

Update: It's ONLY EASY if you have a router. But gd router was PITA too, had to call Netgear techies! Geez, if I'd known it would be this much hassle and expense I wouldn't have bothered!

Last edited by brinybay; 29-Nov-2008 at 08:46 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!