Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Can't set up my wireless router

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

20-Dec-2008, 12:12 AM #1
Solved: Can't set up my wireless router
I've been using a D-Link wireless router to connect my Mac G5 for a while now without ever needing the wireless capacity and that's all humming along. Someone staying at my house once connected the wireless without any trouble but I've never been able to.

I've tried all the IPs to get to the admin page:
192.168.2.100/
192.168.1.1/
192.168.0.1/

Always get a "can't connect to the server" error.

Am I doing something wrong?
Shaldares Shaldares is offline Shaldares has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 126 posts.

Experience: Intermediate/Advanced
20-Dec-2008, 01:36 AM #2
What Mac OS are you using? When you connect to the router, the address you will want to type in to manage the router is your default gateway. If you are using OS X (It's been a while since I've used a mac, I personally don't like them, but I believe this is the current general standard) you can find this information by clicking on the apple menu, then click on system preferences. Once you are in the system preferences, find the view menu and select network. Then next to show, select Airport (unless you are not connecting wirelessly on the G5, then it would be Built-in Ethernet) and you should be able to find a TCP/IP tab that lists the default gateway, either under default gateway or router. Try typing that IP address into the browser.

P.S. There is not necesarilly a 'set' IP address for any router, it can be configured manually.

20-Dec-2008, 01:47 AM #3
OK, we're making progress. When I get to the IP I pulled out of Preferences, it gives me a login dialogue box that says:
To view this page, you need to log in to area “DSL-G604T Admin Login” on 10.1.1.1.
Your password will be sent in the clear.
I must be getting the password wrong because I can't get any further.

Is there any way to find or reset that password? And what does "in the clear" mean?

THANKS SO MUCH for your help so far.
Computer Specs

20-Dec-2008, 02:02 AM #4
Well, as I said earlier I'm not a mac expert I just know a few things so honestly, I'm not sure what it means by your password will be sent in the clear lol. I tried researching it a little bit, but was unable to find a lot that was relevant, I'm beginning to think it's a general password error message. Idk, maybe a mac expert will come through here and will be able to tell us both what it means . As far as getting or resetting the password, if you connect to your router through ethernet, rather than wireless, you should be able to type the default gateway into your browser and get in without needing the password so that you can reset it. Let me know if this doesn't work and I'll have to do some brainstorming. Oh, and you're welcome, that's what we're here for

20-Dec-2008, 03:30 AM #5
Totally appreciate that you may not be a Mac expert. I can't imagine I'm connecting to the router via wireless, there's a big fat blue network cable plugging in.

Is there something else in the settings I should be looking for?
Computer Specs

20-Dec-2008, 04:07 AM #6
Ok. I just wasn't sure whether you were connecting wirelessly or not on that computer. On some routers, if you're wired in, it won't ask you for the password (either that or I may have always had the password cached in my browser so it didn't prompt me. Now that I think of it, that may be what happened.) Well, as far as your settings go, if you're just trying to get into your admin router page, the default gateway (and the password) should be all you need, assuming that you are connected. Is the person staying at your house that was able to connect wirelessly still there? If so, what is the OS they are using on their computer? (I can get a few more answers if it's a windows pc, as I am more familiar with them.)

20-Dec-2008, 04:40 AM #7
Unfortunately, the houseguest is long gone. It was at least a year ago so I doubt he remembers at all now. The laptop I'd like to connect wirelessly is a PC but that doesn't pick up any wireless networks. I was assuming I needed to get into the router page to sort out why. Am I back to needing to find or reset the password?
Computer Specs

20-Dec-2008, 04:43 AM #8
Yeah, unfortunately, if it's not letting you in without it, and you don't remember it and can't find it, the only option that's really left is to reset the router to factory settings and use the default password to get back into the admin page. If you still have the documentation that came with your router it should tell you how to do this, and if not, if you could post the entire model name of the router I can help you find some instructions and help you with any questions you may have.

20-Dec-2008, 04:53 AM #9
I pushed the reset button to go back to factory settings but default password's not working either.

Model is DSL-G604T
Computer Specs

20-Dec-2008, 05:08 AM #10
Well I went to their website and found the support section for your router.

Here is the URL:
http://support.dlink.com/products/vi...id=DSL%2DG604T

And the default username/password on there was admin/admin . Is that what you were already using or is that different than what you were using?

20-Dec-2008, 07:22 PM #11
I think we have progress. I reset the router to factory settings and now can access 10.1.1.1/

Went through the d-link wizard, which finished with a reboot of the router but my laptop still isn't picking up the wireless signal. What now?

20-Dec-2008, 07:33 PM #12
YIPPEE! I noticed a message about a wireless switch on the laptop and after much searching online found out what to look for.

Now it's all good. Connected wirelessly. THANKS SO MUCH.

Is it too much trouble to ask for a little guidance on security. I'm thinking the totally open network's not such a great idea but have no clue about WEP, WPA or any other acronyms.
Computer Specs

21-Dec-2008, 07:35 AM #13
That's great that you found that and that it's working. I would suggest using a WPA key, for 2 reasons. The first is that it's more secure than a WEP key, the second is that you can create your own password that you can remember, while with the WEP it creates a long string of seemingly random numbers. I would also recommend changing to router password so that it's not the default password. If you change it to the same as the key, it may help from things getting confusing.

27-Dec-2008, 04:07 AM #14
All sorted. Secure (I think) and working a treat. THANKS again for your help.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
d-link, mac, setup, wireless router

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!