Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Network Device Not Found

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Dec-2008, 10:34 AM #1
Solved: Network Device Not Found
On one of my PCs I am able to access the various drives as either a local device or as a network device. For example, I can access the hard drive as a local device C:\ or as a network device \\PM1\C (PM1 is the computer name).

Same is true for the second hard drive (D:\ or \\PM1\D), the CD/DVD drives, the memory card reader. But it is not true for my external (USB) hard drive. I can access the external drive as N:\ but I am NOT able to acess it as \\PM1\N. Windows tells me \\PM1\N can not be found even though N:\ is found.

As best I can tell I have Sharing and Security set properly for all of the drives including N. All of the drives are NTFS. I'm running WinXP Pro SP2.

If I move the external USB drive to another PC I do NOT have the same problem there. So I think the problem is specific to how something is set in this one particular PC.

Any clues?

Peter
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

31-Dec-2008, 10:47 AM #2
What's the version of Windows on each of these systems? Are both running XP-Pro?

Try this for the USB drive on the non-working machine.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

31-Dec-2008, 12:45 PM #3
John,

I have WinXP Pro SP2 on all of my PCs.

That was a very good suggestion to check ownership. I had not thought to check that. But, ownership was set right all along so the problem remains.

Peter

31-Dec-2008, 02:13 PM #4
Here's some interesting updated information about this issue:

As I mentioned in my original message this external drive is connected to the PC via USB. The drive also has FireWire (1394) capability so I tried that. Much to my surprise the problem disappears when using FireWire.

With a USB conection \\PM1\N is not accessable. With a FireWire connection it works. (N:\ works with either connection.)

Any clues about that?

Peter
Computer Specs

01-Jan-2009, 09:18 PM #5
I've seen other people say similar things. I've personally never experienced it, so I don't know where I'd start debugging. I can share USB drives with no issues.

02-Jan-2009, 01:07 AM #6
Solution found:

I can't say that I understand what this solution is all about but it did fix the problem. Looks like it had nothing to do with permissions or ownership. You can read the details at:

http://www.ghacks.net/2008/01/13/not-enough-server-storage-is-available-to-process-this-command/

I did not have that IRPStackSize Dword in the registry of any of my PCs. I added it with a value of 21 to the registry on the PC the external drive is connected to and the problem is gone. I can now access \\PM1\N from any of my PCs.

Thanks to everyone here who helped along the way!
Peter
Computer Specs

02-Jan-2009, 10:06 AM #7
Wow, that comes from left field. That's not the symptom I normally associate with the IRP stack size being too low!

Of course, if you were getting that "not enough server storage" error and had mentioned it, I would have mentioned the stack size, because that's the common fix.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!