Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Problems staying connected to wireless internet

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 325 posts.

Experience: Beginner
11-Jan-2009, 04:03 PM #1
Problems staying connected to wireless internet
My wireless internet works fine for a period of time and then randomly disconnects for no reason. Once disconnected, it will not reconnect. Network and Sharing center shows that the signal strength is still excellent but it is connected as "local access only". Diagnose and repair does nothing nor does resetting the IP address. I have tried resetting the modem and the router, but still nothing. The only thing that works is restarting the computer. Once the computer restarts it connects automatically and everything is fine until the next time it happens. This occurs approximately 2-3 times a day. Can someone please help me figure out what is going on here as having to restart like this is starting to get rather annoying. Thanks in advance!

I am using Motorola Inc Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem and a Linksys router.
My wireless card is Marvell TOPDOG PCI-Express 802.11n Wireless (EC85)
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,940 posts.

11-Jan-2009, 08:41 PM #2
Make sure you have the latest driver for the adapter and latest firmware for the router.

Have you checked for possible wireless interference, such as from another network? Or tried different channels (1, 6 and 11 are good to start with)?
Computer Specs
Member with 325 posts.

11-Jan-2009, 09:09 PM #3
I have made sure I have the latest driver. As for firmware and wireless interference and trying different channels I'm going to need someone to walk me through it as I don't know where to go to look for these.

If by wireless interference you mean where the router is located, I don't think this is an issue since my computer and router are in the same room. I do have a cordless phone, however, it is fairly new and I was having the problem before I got it. There may be other people in the neighborhood with wireless but my computer only detects one and it is very low signal.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,940 posts.

11-Jan-2009, 09:31 PM #4
The latest firmware should be on Linksys's web site.

Login to the router and you should find the channel setting in the wireless section. Firmware update is usually in a 'tools' or 'utilities' or 'system' or some such section. The user manual, either on CD or online, is often a good source of information about using the router.
Computer Specs
Member with 325 posts.

11-Jan-2009, 10:50 PM #5
I cannot even find anything that says Linksys on my computer. I just know that is what I'm using because I'm looking at the router right now. How do I "login to the router"?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

12-Jan-2009, 09:00 AM #6
Enter the address 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of Internet Explorer. You should be presented with the login screen for the router's web based configuration.
Computer Specs
Member with 325 posts.

13-Jan-2009, 12:03 AM #7
ok I went there and it says I am on channel 6. Do I need to change this?

side note: This is just a hunch, but I have a feeling that this has something to do with my computer rather than the router since it doesn't seem to drop any of my friend's lap tops when they connect to my internet.
Computer Specs
Member with 325 posts.

13-Jan-2009, 12:08 AM #8
as for firmware updating, I still do not know where to go to do this. :/
Computer Specs

13-Jan-2009, 01:25 PM #9
Change the channel to either 1 or 11 if it's currently on 6, see if that helps.
Computer Specs
Member with 325 posts.

13-Jan-2009, 08:40 PM #10
okay, will do. It may take a day or two before I know since the problem sometimes doesn't occur for a couple days and then later can happen several times a day depending on how long I'm on the computer. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by hewwo2u2; 13-Jan-2009 at 08:52 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 325 posts.

18-Jan-2009, 05:35 PM #11
I changed the channel to 11 and the problem occurred again late last night. It just disconnected and would not reconnect unless I restarted. What's going on?
Computer Specs
Member with 325 posts.

21-Jan-2009, 02:00 AM #12
anyone here? it happened again tonight
Computer Specs

21-Jan-2009, 10:41 AM #13
Visit www.linksys.com and download and install the latest firmware for the router. Then, reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure after the firmware upgrade.

Also, you should upgrade your wireless adapter's drivers to the latest available as well.
Computer Specs
Member with 325 posts.

21-Jan-2009, 12:17 PM #14
ok I will do this ASAP. I also want to add that it did it again this morning except instead of doing the usual where it says "local access only", it said it was not connected to any network. When I tried to search for available networks, windows could not find any even though my modem and router seemed to be working fine. It did not even "see" the neighbor's network that always shows up. Of course, after I restarted, everything seems fine again...I'm sure you can see where this can get rather frustrating.
Computer Specs
Member with 325 posts.

21-Jan-2009, 12:32 PM #15
I downloaded the firmware (which says its from 2007). IT was a zip file and so I extracted the file and then clicked it but it won't open. it is a .bin file. what am I supposed to do with it? It is just sitting there on my desktop.

Also how do I reset the router to factory defaults? I know I need to upgrade the firmware first, but please explain this so I can do it all before posting again. (I am a serious newbie when it comes to internet/network stuff - I apologize for this)
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
connectivity problem, internet, wireless internet, wireless network

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!