Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to Bypass Router to Connect to Modem

(!)

Member with 56 posts.

Experience: Beginner
28-Jan-2009, 08:43 PM #1
How to Bypass Router to Connect to Modem
I have recently begun service with RCN cable for my internet. I have a wireless Linksys Modem/Router that my computer is connected to with a cable, so my internet is NOT wireless. However, I believe there is some kind of router involved that is causing connectivity problems for my computer. This is especially obvious when I try to play a computer game like Team Fortress 2. Anyway, I was told that most, if not all of my problems could be solved by bypassing the router and connecting directly to the modem. I don't know how to do this, could anyone help me out? I am using an HP computer with Windows XP Professional 2002.
Trusted Advisor with 19,643 posts.

28-Jan-2009, 08:57 PM #2
If there is a Ethernet Port on your cable modem, you can connect the network cable coming out of the back of your PC to the cable modem. I hope you have a firewall running though. This exposes you because you will be directly connected to the internet.
Member with 56 posts.

28-Jan-2009, 09:02 PM #3
I have that connected already, but I still have connection problems, so I thought that the router was still affecting it somehow.
Trusted Advisor with 19,643 posts.

28-Jan-2009, 09:11 PM #4
How can the router affect it, if you are not connected to it?
Senior Member with 1,428 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Jan-2009, 09:27 PM #5
I think we have a terms problem.

Brodieman you need to acurately describe your equipment and your connections.

By the sound of it you don't have a router but only a modem. In which case you would contact your isp over their bad service.
Member with 56 posts.

28-Jan-2009, 09:37 PM #6
possibly. The Linksys Modem/Router/USB/4-Port Switch is what my internet comes from. My roommates use the wireless, but I decided to connect my ethernet cable directly to the Linksys. My computer is the "master computer" for the Linksys, as I was the only one who could set a password for the wireless. So I am directly connected, but I feel like there may be a router or something that is complicating things, even though I am directly connected, via my ethernet cable to the Linksys. Warcraft III runs just fine, but the Steam games do not. Before I moved here and used this internet, I didn't have any problems running any games. Perhaps it is not a router, but if not, does anyone have any idea of what it could be?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

29-Jan-2009, 03:36 PM #7
You have a router, and you probably need to adjust port forwarding for the affected games. Since you aren't specific, here's the "generic" site that will lead you through setting up the port forwarding for most common applications.

www.portforward.com
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!