Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Missing client in active IP table

(!)

Member with 390 posts.

Experience: Intermediate to Advanced
15-Feb-2009, 09:37 PM #1
Missing client in active IP table
My network currently has 4 wireless clients on the network - this XP computer, hubby's XP computer, my Itouch, and my hubby's Win98SE computer. In looking at my Linksys WRT54GL router's DHCP Active IP Table, I can see three - all but the Win98SE computer, though it's been given an IP addy and works fine.

Why is it not showing up, and how can we correct this? Part of my concern is, if hubby's isn't showing up, how can I trust that I'll see if someone nefarious manages to connect?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

15-Feb-2009, 09:38 PM #2
Is the W98 machine using DHCP to automatically assign an IP address? For that W98 machine, let's see this.

Start, Run, COMMAND to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL >c:\IPCONFIG.TXT

Open c:\IPCONFIG.TXT in NOTEPAD, copy and paste all of it in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.
Member with 390 posts.

15-Feb-2009, 09:44 PM #3
Yea, hubby does report that his Win98 machine is automatically assigning an ip (192.168.0.102). We may have done this a while back because it was having trouble connecting, I cannot remember now. But that would explain it, I guess. But on the other hand, shouldn't anything that the router is connected to show up there? It's the only place I can find a list of connected clients...

Hmm. So the next question is, is there a way to tell my router *not* to assign that addy, 'cause sometimes we get conflicts if my router tries to assign another machine to it. I'm not really wanting to do static IPs at this time (yes I know how, had them on my last network). I'm not as familiar with fiddling with this newer linksys as I was with the old DLink I had previously...

Last edited by jmc; 15-Feb-2009 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: left something out.
Computer Specs

15-Feb-2009, 09:45 PM #4
Only stuff that gets an address by DHCP will show up in the DHCP table, statically assigned addresses will not appear.
Member with 390 posts.

15-Feb-2009, 09:47 PM #5
Okay, that makes sense. Is there a separate app I can use to get an actual, complete list of all the clients on my network? I'd love to flash the router with the cooler, better firmware (name escapes me at the moment) but co-owner hubby isn't so enamored of the idea, sadly
Computer Specs

15-Feb-2009, 10:04 PM #6
On some routers, you can actually see all the devices that have had any traffic through the router/switch. My Actiontec MI424WR is such a router, I see all the static IP addresses as well as the DHCP assigned ones in the network display. Here's a sample, however not all routers offer this functionality.
Attached Thumbnails
Missing client in active IP table-sample.jpg  
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,815 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Feb-2009, 11:28 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Hmm. So the next question is, is there a way to tell my router *not* to assign that addy, 'cause sometimes we get conflicts if my router tries to assign another machine to it.
One of the configuration pages on the router should let you set a contiguous IP address range that the DHCP server uses to give out IP addresses. Change the range so that is does not include any static IP addresses used by any computers. The range still needs to be wide enough to at least include the maximum number of computers using DHCP at the same time.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!