Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: wireless adapter disappears and reappears

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Feb-2009, 12:08 AM #1
Solved: wireless adapter disappears and reappears
Have been having a problem with wireless connection on my laptop. I have a HP Pavilion tx 1000 Notebook PC. The processor is named AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56 1.80 GHz and the operating system is Vista 32 Home Premium. The computer is about 1 1/2 years old.
There are 2 network adapters listed in the device manager: Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN and NVIDIA nforce Networking Controller. The problem I am having is with the Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN adapter. All of a sudden it is not working. When I check the device manager it is not listed. I have the ability to reload this missing adapter and I have done so many times however when it is gone it will not reappear even if the file is reloaded. I have rebooted my computer to see if it makes a difference and sometimes it comes back and sometimes it doesn't. I have tried to do a system restore and it fails each time I try. So I wait for a while and all of a sudden the adapter is back listed in the device manager and everything is fine. I ran a memory diagnostics through windows vista and following the diagnostics the adapter came back however I have no idea if this was the reason why it came back or not. Regardless, about 1/2 hour later the blue light for the wireless went red and the adapter once again disappeared.

Any ideas on how to correct this would be apprieciated.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

18-Feb-2009, 08:37 AM #2
This sounds like the hardware is dying or perhaps it's loose in the socket.

Remove the battery from the laptop and open the access door on the bottom and reseat the mini-PCI wireless adapter.

If that doesn't fix it, it's probably dying.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!