Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: How to put a password on your wireless connection

(!)

Member with 31 posts.

04-Mar-2009, 04:45 PM #1
Solved: How to put a password on your wireless connection
Okay, bascilly I set up a wireless connection about two years ago using a belkin router, I set it up using the software that came with the router and I did not at all ask me once to choose a password. I did not think not having a password on my wireless connection would be much of a deal untill I recently found out my neighbours are also using my wireless connection. This pissed me off, and I just dont know what to do to put a simple password protection on it! And what makes it worse is that I no longer have the same computer I did when I set up my router with the given software. I also don't know where the software or instructions have gone and I dont know any details about my router! Although I could try and find out some details, but I wouldn't know where to look. Please help me
Junior Member with 18 posts.

04-Mar-2009, 04:52 PM #2
You need a WEP encryption to do this log into your router
http://192.168.1.1
hit enter on the login
go to the wireless tab
go to security
enable WEP and choose a key (basically a password)
now only the people with the WEP key can access your hotspot

Member with 31 posts.

04-Mar-2009, 04:59 PM #3
Oh great
for some reason when I click that link it tells me internet explorer cannot display the webpage
what do I do now?

04-Mar-2009, 05:02 PM #4
go to run
type in cmd
while in the command prompt type ipconfig /all

use the local address there it should be simular to 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.0.1
Trusted Advisor with 19,658 posts.

04-Mar-2009, 05:18 PM #5
It is the Gateway Address from the output of ipconfig.

I would recommend that you use WPA or WPA2 if your wireless router and computers at home support it. Use at least a 20 character passphrase when using WPA or WPA2. WEP is a very insecure protocol. So is version 1 of WPA for that matter. If someone has a copy of the Rainbow Encryption tables they can pretty much break your Wireless within a matter of minutes.

04-Mar-2009, 05:26 PM #6
Read my previous post. It is the Default Gateway.

You do know that Vista has the Snipping Tool. So that you don't have to take a screen shot of your entire desktop. You can also just do a Alt + PrintScreen to capture the Active Window.
Member with 31 posts.

04-Mar-2009, 05:33 PM #7
ohh
i didnt know that about printscreening an active window. thanks, that will come in handy. and yeh my mistake, it says default gateway next to 192.168.2.1

right, ive got to the part of changing it to either to a 18bitWEP, 16bitWEP or a WPA/WPA2

im not sure which one to choose, what are the differences?

04-Mar-2009, 05:38 PM #8
I think you mean 128bit Wep, 64bit WEP or WPA/WPA2. You want to use WPA or WPA2 if your wireless network card on your pc supports it. If your PC was made in the last 5 years I would assume it has WPA support on the Wireless card. Use at least a 20 character passphrase.

I would suggest you download the manual for your router. It will show you how to do all this.

May I suggest that you make these changes to your router config while physically hard wired to it. Don't make the changes to these types of settings over the wireless connection.
Member with 31 posts.

04-Mar-2009, 05:45 PM #9
ooo >.< well i dont have a wireless card, the wireless it built in. and i bought the laptop brand new at christmas, so it should be fine then right?

and ive hardwired myself to the connection now.

btw what will happen once ive made a password? will i be asked to input the password when i take out the wire and try to connect wirelessly again? also what will happen to my other devices connected to this router

04-Mar-2009, 05:57 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iveyj View Post
ooo >.< well i dont have a wireless card, the wireless it built in. and i bought the laptop brand new at christmas, so it should be fine then right?
It is still referred to as a card. A mini-pci card. Not a PCMCIA card like you are probably thinking.
Member with 31 posts.

04-Mar-2009, 05:59 PM #11
ahh right cheers
anyway, im gonna cmake the passoword now
so if i dont reply..
ive probably broken my internet D:
here it goes..

04-Mar-2009, 06:00 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by iveyj View Post
ohh btw, this is all looking good so far yet? no more options i need to change? http://i40.tinypic.com/e299f.png
Looks good. Now put in a 20 character pass phrase.

And I am going to beat you with a really big hammer the next time you post a full size screen shot! Can someone find me a Hammer Smiley!

Learn to resize your windows and use Alt + printscreen or learn to use that new Snipping Tool that is included in Vista.

04-Mar-2009, 06:03 PM #13
Excellent Squashman said it better than I could. That Mr.Incredible avatar does you justice.
Member with 31 posts.

04-Mar-2009, 06:08 PM #14
right ive done it its said i had to wait 25 seconds for the router to reboot and it did. hasnt asked me for a password or anything tho. i think its still worked tho hasnt it?
Member with 31 posts.

04-Mar-2009, 06:11 PM #15
damn, i dont think that post sent xD
ill type it again anyway

anyway! it did it and it said i had to wait 25 seconds for the router to reboot and it did. it didnt ask me to put in a passowerd again or anything tho.
but this still means that when other people try and connect to it, without it happening automatically, they will be asked for a password right?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!