Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Internet connection no longer works through router

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Mar-2009, 02:38 PM #1
Solved: Internet connection no longer works through router
Hello everyone,

I apologize if this topic has already been covered but search results were far too broad.

Anyways, I have a 3 computer network with a Linksys Etherfast router. Suddenly this morning, none of the computers can connect to the internet. All of the computers can still communicate with each other through the network so the router is working in that respect.

If I unplug any computer from the router and into the modem by itself, it can connect to the internet, so the modem is working fine.

Could my router possibly be bad or is there something else I can check?

I would appreciate any help. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to networking.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,231 posts.

23-Mar-2009, 02:44 PM #2
Usually there is a LED indicating some status of the WAN (internet) connection. Does your router have one, and what is it telling you?

When you login to your router what is the WAN (internet status)? If it does not have a good IP configuration is there anything in the log to indicate the problem?

Make sure the cable between modem and router is good. Reset the router to factory defaults and see if it works.

If you have no success with any of the above the router has probably died (at least the WAN part).
Computer Specs

23-Mar-2009, 02:51 PM #3
Yes, there is an LED on the router that indicates internet connection and it does light up when the modem is connected to the router.

Here is the problem....I can't log in to the router because I have no clue what the user/password is. I had a former co-worker come over and set this up for me a few years ago and I have been unable to reach him. Chances are, he wouldn't even remember the information anyways and the default user/password does not work.

I had already tried replacing the ethernet cable from the modem to the router. No luck there.

It looks like I may have to go and pick up a new router and try that out. I've never set one of these up before. Is it pretty straightforward if you follow the instructions?

Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Mar-2009, 03:03 PM #4
Heres few on how to log in to your router 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.258 username is admin and paddword is admin but if you or the person done it for you changed the password it wont log you in if it dosn't work as the person who fix it for you or reset the router but you might need to do the settings all again or dhcp. if you reseted it username is admin password is admin
good luck
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,231 posts.

23-Mar-2009, 03:04 PM #5
Reset the router to factory default setting. In addition to being one of the fixes I suggested it will reset the user/password to default. The default will be specified in the router manual and/or quick setup guide. If you don't have the CD that came with the router the Linksys site (support section) should have a copy.

When setting up a new router copy the user manual to your computer and then hide the CD somewhere before you are tempted to use any "easy setup" wizard. The fact that you can simply move your computer from the router connection to the modem indicates that a new router will be "plug n play." Just unplug the modem while being sure to connect it to the router's WAN (internet, modem) port. After it proves to be basically working you can change the wireless SSID and secure it.
Computer Specs

23-Mar-2009, 04:16 PM #6
Well this is awfully strange. I spent so much time originally thinking that the problem was with the modem and/or it's communication with the router that I never thought to power cycle the router. I did that and everything seems to work for the time being. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hopefully that was all it needed.

Thanks for all your help.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

24-Mar-2009, 08:48 AM #7
You can mark your own threads solved using the button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!