Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: BT Homehub WIRELESS slow, wired connection fine!

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Apr-2009, 02:22 PM #1
Solved: BT Homehub WIRELESS slow, wired connection fine!
I have a really weird situation with a customer whom i have set up broadband for....

Its all set up using my personal laptop as per the instructions from BT. Everything went without a hitch, and connected fine - all 4 lights on the router blue.

When i connect with a cable, everything runs just fine - download speeds of 200k+.

However when i connect to it wirelessly everything grinds to a halt. The wireless light on the router is blue (meaning no problem), the signal strength on my laptop is described as excellent, but still i have problems!

Ive tried changing the wireless settings from WPA to WEP and have tried a couple of different Channels for transmission. Ive also tried using the customers laptop which behaves in the same way (ie Cabled fine, Wireless crap). Any ideas from anybody?!

best regards,

Thundercant
Senior Member with 642 posts.

17-Apr-2009, 05:34 PM #2
Can you log onto the homepage of the BT Homehub to change settings? If you can, check to see what the MTU is. It should be 1458. Is the homehub in direct line of sight? If it is a problem on both laptops it could be something in the makeup of the building.
Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

17-Apr-2009, 05:39 PM #3
i cant get to the router till tomorrow - but the laptops were about 1/2m apart, and about 1m from the hub, with nothing but fresh air between them! any ideas?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

17-Apr-2009, 08:05 PM #4
First off, move the machines a bit farther from the wireless router. Many times being too close will cause issues.
Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

18-Apr-2009, 05:42 AM #5
really? never heard that one! but ill try it. Anybody else with suggestions before i go?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,342 posts.

18-Apr-2009, 08:42 AM #6
Make sure MAC Address filtering is not enabled and try connecting w/o encryption. If that works then try WPA-PSK. If it doesn't work please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.
Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

27-Apr-2009, 09:03 AM #7
the solution came from changing the channel in the router from automatic to channel 9. I think the problem was caused by the cordless phone unit nearby.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!