Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: ftp from behind airport extreme

(!)

catlady13 catlady13 is offline catlady13 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 840 posts.

04-May-2009, 01:37 PM #1
Solved: ftp from behind airport extreme
I have set up a small network with three computers and a printer. I have two pcs running XP SP2 and a mac mini.
The mac mini is not an intel mac but one of the older ones and is running os 10.5. All of them can "see" each other , share files and use the printer.
I want to set up an ftp server on one of the pcs and have tried to do some port forwarding but am a pc person , not a mac person and this airport extreme N base station has me totally confused about this subject. I have tried several suggestions but not of them refer specifically to port forwarding for ftp. I am using cerberus ftp program and have used it in the past with great success before I got the airport extreme base. Can someone please lend a hand with this?
Thank you very much in advance.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,723 posts.

Experience: Advanced in Networking
04-May-2009, 04:28 PM #2
You cannot forward the same port for FTP to more than 1 computer. You would need to add another entry in the router for a seperate computer, and use the computer's IP addressort number for hosting another FTP.
Computer Specs
Member with 840 posts.

04-May-2009, 06:54 PM #3
I only want to ftp out of one computer, one of my XP computers that is networked with the airport extreme base. I am just not sure how to do the port forwarding properly with the airport extreme base. Okay let's say I have PC1, PC2 and mac mini on this airport extreme base all networked . I only want to setup PC1 as the ftp server.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

04-May-2009, 08:04 PM #4
If you're making outbound connections from behind the router, you don't need any ports forwarded. I do FTP from several computers here all the time.
Computer Specs
Member with 840 posts.

04-May-2009, 08:13 PM #5
Hmm okay I can do anything out. The problem is noone can use my ftp server. Noone can see in. I am sorry but I thought that meant I would have to port forward. I have several user accounts set up on my server with name and password but they don't even get to that point. They get several different kinds of errors when they try. It worked before I got the airport extreme base when I had a simple switch instead and/or if I connect directly to the internet but not with this airport extreme router.
Computer Specs

04-May-2009, 08:30 PM #6
OK, for incoming connections, you indeed have to port forward. Try this tutorial: http://www.portforward.com/english/r...xtreme/FTP.htm
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,732 posts.

04-May-2009, 08:38 PM #7
Searching for "airport extreme port forward" I seem to be finding only help for using a MAC to configure the router. I'm not sure the Airport Extreme has a normal web type interface as an alternative to a proprietary setup program.

This is one link that seems to be pretty general, and this one mentions FTP near the end of the page.
Computer Specs

04-May-2009, 08:45 PM #8
I guess you need a Mac to use this gadget.

I seem to recall someone mentioning some kind of CLI to access this box.
Computer Specs

04-May-2009, 08:50 PM #9
Maybe this will help from the AirPort Extreme User Manual:

Quote:
To set up AirPort Extreme using a Windows PC, you must have the following:
  • A Windows PC with 300 MHz or higher processor speed
  • Windows XP Home or Professional (with Service Pack 2 installed)
  • AirPort Utility v5 or later
I'm guessing that utility is to handle the GUI like a Mac.
Computer Specs

04-May-2009, 08:55 PM #10
This Designing Airport Networks Guide has specific port forwarding instructions, see page 54 to start.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,723 posts.

04-May-2009, 09:12 PM #11
I once encountered a user here that couldn't even get to the configuration page from a MAC. If that happens, a factory default reset would be needed.
Computer Specs
Member with 840 posts.

04-May-2009, 09:25 PM #12
I tried the first page Johnwill sent to me and I DO have a mac. I am doing the airport base configuring on the mac because I don't think it is possible from a pc. Unfortunately I believe my airport base is newer than that tutorial. I don't have the utility airport admin utility only airport utility and it looks quite different and there is port forwarding in there but again it looks quite different and behaves differently than the one in the first tutorial I was sent. I do have the latest version of airport utility and am about to try the other pages you have suggested. I will let everyone know how it goes... have my fingers crossed.. toes too ..
Computer Specs
Member with 3,723 posts.

04-May-2009, 09:37 PM #13
Can you post a screenshot of the forwarding page?
Computer Specs
Member with 840 posts.

04-May-2009, 09:42 PM #14
http://discussions.apple.com/message...sageID=5158995
If you would please look at the 15th message down on this page it would explain what I first used to attempt to do this. The tutorial there seems to be closer to what I have on my mac mini with the airport utitilty.
Instead of using port 80 I used port 21 for ftp and of course added my own internal isp of the computer I want to use as the ftp server. I also did the part that is supposed to add a static ip address.
It didn't work then. It doesn't work now though ...... hmmm progress?? my email wont' work now on my mac.. ROFL .. OOPS... I think incoming works but not outgoing. I am just wondering if anything in the tutorial on this page makes any sense to anybody.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,732 posts.

04-May-2009, 09:53 PM #15
I think I counted it as the 16th message, but am sure we're talking about the same one.

You used that method to assign or reserve a static IP address for your PC with the FTP server, right? What is it? And then you forwarded port 21 to that IP address, right?

Now check that the PC in question actually has that IP address--

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!