Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Wireless Connection(or Not) using a wep key

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-May-2009, 04:23 AM #1
Solved: Wireless Connection(or Not) using a wep key
I am having a probvlem with one particularly troublesome computer running win XP. The machine is a P4. It has a Belkin wireless network card inserted. I have downloaded and upgraded the drivers for this card and it appears to be working correctly, in so far as it identifies the various networks around it. I have enabled WZC. The problem is that when I click on our network to connect, it attempts to do so but does not ask for the WEP key. If I click on any of the other networks it can also see, it does ask for the WEP key. Ironically two identical machines at the side of it, abeit with different wireless adaptors, have connected straight forwardly and are working fine. I disconnected the internal Belkin wireless card and attached a Belkin USB Wireless adaptor (with appropriate drivers) same thing happened! Is this a Belkin thing?

I have gone into the windows software to try and enter the wep key manually, but it will not accept it - it is asking for a hex sequence and I cannot find a way of reverting it to a passphrase.

I understand from reading other threads that hex is more secure and that different cards may read passphrase keys differnetly, but my other machines are not having this problem.

Any one have any suggestions? Thanks in anticipation.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

05-May-2009, 08:49 AM #2
You need to really consider changing to HEX keys or better yet, simply moving to WPA at least, it's a much more secure encryption.

The reason that it's not asking for the key for that network is that it's probably got an incorrect key stored. Remove any stored wireless profiles and try searching for networks again.
Computer Specs

05-May-2009, 09:07 AM #3
Thank you JohnWill. We hope to upgrade the system shortly and will indeed go for a more secure encryption as you advise.

I have looked in the advanced settings, but am unable to find any stored 'keys'. where would you suggest I look to find any of these in order to clean it up?

Again thanks.
Computer Specs

05-May-2009, 09:12 AM #4
Are you using WZC or a 3rd party wireless client?

For WZC, View Available Wireless Networks, then on the left, pick the Change the order of preferred networks. Remove the network identification for the network in question and then it'll prompt for a new key when you try to connect again.
Computer Specs

06-May-2009, 04:28 AM #5
Ok, JohnWill, Thanks.

I have done as you suggested; removed the profiles I found, WZC is activated and the pc is identifying all of the availble Networks around it. However, when I click on our network it undertakes a search then comes up with the caption in a small window saying:

"Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks and try to connect again"

This I have done. The pc is literally 3m from the router, the signal is very strong and I think I have ticked all the relevant boxes - (obviously not however!! :-)).

What hair I have left is now falling out!!!
Computer Specs

06-May-2009, 03:04 PM #6
Have you disabled any firewalls on the machine? Can this machine connect to other networks?
Computer Specs

07-May-2009, 02:22 AM #7
Yes, I have disabled the windows firewall. When I click on the other networks which are available I am then asked for their encryption key, as I would expect it do for ours! This seems a most peculiar situation as I said earlier the machines next to it connect fine to our router: it is just this machine and our network only! If I disable the wzc and use the Belkin supplied software with the connection manager, it will ask for a key, but will not accept the passphrase refusing to accept certain characters such as an 's'. Thanks for you advice anyway. :-)
Computer Specs

07-May-2009, 12:05 PM #8
You need to use HEX keys with WEP for many devices, I suspect this is one of them.
Computer Specs

08-May-2009, 03:21 AM #9
Wep Key problems
Hi JohnWill

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions and assistance. I have to say I was so frustrated with it yesterday, I took out everything Belkin, removed all their software and instaled a linksys adaptor and 'viola' it all worked! The pc is now happily talking to the network, printer etc. In fairness the Belkin stuff was quite old so whether that had anything to do with it I don't know. Any way, once again thank you for your assistance which has been much appreciated, it always good to know there is a plce to ask a question!

Computer Specs

08-May-2009, 10:38 AM #10
Glad it all worked out.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!