Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: http: error 12007

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

10-May-2009, 09:38 AM #1
Solved: http: error 12007
I can't get my computer to connect to the internet. I saw a similar post where a person has other computers that will connect to the internet but one would not. There problem was Dhcp was not enabled. How can I find out if Dhcp is enabled on the computer I can't connect to internet. Like the other person I have 2 computers that will connect and one that won't. I need to connect that computer to the net so I can install the new router I bought because the router I'm using is failing.

Thanks
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

10-May-2009, 09:39 AM #2
Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.
The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

• If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
  • For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
  • Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
  • If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands on separate lines, following each one with the Enter key:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

10-May-2009, 11:04 AM #3
ISP = Metrocast Cablevision
Modem = Motorola S85101 SurfBoard
Router = Netgear Wirless Router MRB 14v2
Windows = XP Home
Internet Browser = IE

A few months ago I cleaned some junk files off my computer and have been unable to connect to the internet since then. 2 more computers are hooked to the internet through the router and modem on that computer and connect to the internet just fine.

When I try to connect to the internet I get the following message:
"HTTP: error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com could not be resolved"

"error: could not make an http: connection"
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: http: error 12007-screenshot002.jpg   Solved: http: error 12007-screenshot003.jpg  
Computer Specs

10-May-2009, 11:40 AM #4
Let's start by doing a stack repair.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Next, I'd like you to check the services.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
  • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
  • Computer Browser
  • DHCP Client
  • DNS Client
  • Network Connections
  • Network Location Awareness
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
  • Server
  • TCP/IP Netbios helper
  • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
  • WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
  • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic (or perhaps manual).

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.

Finally, I'd like to do some ping tests.

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous IPCONFIG command output!

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

10-May-2009, 03:46 PM #5
John,
I followed your instructions and was able to connect that computer to the internet for the first time in months. Thank you very much for your assistance with my problem. I am enclosing the ping results you asked for as an attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: doc ping test.doc (23.0 KB, 1175 views)
Computer Specs

10-May-2009, 07:21 PM #6
Well, since it's working, I don't really need the ping results. Glad we were able to assist.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!