Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Modem light won't stop blinking/No connection

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

15-May-2009, 01:28 AM #1
Modem light won't stop blinking/No connection
Hey everyone. I am having a serious problem with my wired internet connection. I have a wired connection and a wireless connection. My wireless connection works, and my wired one doesn't.

What happened was that I went to unplug and replug the wires from my router (long story) and now the router must not be working right because I can't access the internet on my wired connection. To restate, my wireless connection works.

I checked to see if I plugged the wires from the router in the wrong holes but I didn't (I think). Remember, ever since I unplugged and replugged the wires from the router, this wired connection screwed up.

Below is a picture of the router I have. The one in the yellow circle (labeled as modem) keeps blinking. What can I do to fix this? Would greatly appreciate it!

Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

15-May-2009, 08:41 AM #2
Check the wiring.

The modem should be plugged into the WAN/Internet connection, and the computer(s) should be plugged into the LAN/Network connections. Note that the WAN/Internet jack should be uniquely identified.

For future reference, the picture of the devices gives us very little info. Best is the exact make, model, and hardware version of each device, modem and router.

Let's see this from the working computer.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.
Moderator with 66,006 posts.

15-May-2009, 12:57 PM #3
Quote:
Note that the WAN/Internet jack should be uniquely identified.
FWIW on both my Belkin routers that jack is labeled "to modem."
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!