Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Too Many Open Internet Connections Problem !!

(!)

Member with 53 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-May-2009, 02:25 PM #1
Too Many Open Internet Connections Problem !!
Hi there,

Reently my internet was running very very slow. Its back up and running now and no problems but when it was being tested by my internet provider they advised I had 13 open internet connections. They advised I need less than 10 for the net to run efficiently. When I'm online using Mozilla I can only see my Anti Virus software Avast and google toolbar running as well so I'm confused and worried how there are 13 open. I am using Vista. The way they checked was Start>Command Prompt and entering netstat.....when I last tested it I had 13.....i am posting the latest...there are loads!!!

So is this anything to be worried about.....how can I tell what is connecting from my computer!!!

Thanks for any help

Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Too Many Open Internet Connections Problem !!-net.jpg  
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 22 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-May-2009, 03:13 PM #2
Are you on a Wireless LAN?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,898 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-May-2009, 03:29 PM #3
First of all, you test by doing a "netstat -a". That will show you open ports. The port number is the number after the colon. Open ports are ESTABLISHED (talking to another service), LISTENING (waiting for a connection, but not actually open), and an asterisk (a UDP connection, such as talking to a router or a DNS server).

If an ESTABLISHED port has a loopback address (127.0.0.1, or 2 colons) on the left side, and your computer name on the right, that is a program talking to another service on your computer. It is not going through the Internet.

If you install a firewall, all those ports that are set as LISTENING will be hidden from the outside world and will become ESTABLISHED only if you initiate the connection. (That's what a firewall is for.)

13 connections is not an outrageous amount. Most folks have way more than that on a normal day. Heck, IE can open 10 simultaneous ports for each server you connect to.

By doing a "netstat -a", anything that says ESTABLISHED is coming from your computer. That doesn't mean that your computer initiated the connection. That why we use firewalls. Even the firewall that comes with Vista will prevent programs that you don't set up from making connections.

If you are really worried about programs connecting to the Internet unsupervised, get rid if that Google Toolbar.

In short, based on what you posted, there is nothing unusual going on but I am curious of what program is using port 12080 to death. You can find out by running "netstat -o", noting the PID, then going to your Task Manager, Services and seeing what service is using it.

Courtney
Member with 53 posts.

26-May-2009, 04:44 PM #4
Hi Courtney,

Thanks very much for your advice. I have run netstat -o but what is the PID ? is it the 4 digit number? also, on Vista how do I open my Task Manager and Services.....I have had a try but am struggeling there!!

Thanks
Member with 53 posts.

27-May-2009, 02:00 AM #5
that was a stupid question! I do know how to run task manager! late night obviously. I have brought up task manager and shows PID but I cant see what is the PID on netstat -o.......if its the 4 digit code at the end its not showing on task manager.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!