Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: modem's a bytche

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-Jun-2009, 03:06 AM #1
Solved: modem's a bytche
my home network gateway (thomson tg782t) has a usb port on its side, which the manufacterer claims is capable of sharing over my entire home network. It also claims it's not capable of dealing with drives formatted to NTFS. my shared storage is a Western digital 250GB, with NTFS. i can convert the filing system easily enough, but fat32 is sooooooooooo messy! Meanwhile, the modem doesn't seem to recognize my mp3 player(4GB fat32). this is extremely frustrating.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
06-Jun-2009, 04:50 AM #2
What are you trying to do, and why would you connect an mp3 player to a modem in the first place?

What machines are connected to the modem and how are they connected?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

06-Jun-2009, 08:30 AM #3
That unit has four Ethernet ports for connections. I have no idea what the USB port does, I'm presuming that's for connecting a USB disk? I don't see any documentation on the Internet for this unit...

07-Jun-2009, 02:50 AM #4
modem's a bytche no more
I thank all you folks out there for your input. the usb port on my modem simply is there to allow sharing of usb devices i.e. printers, portable storage. My issue was that I had to locate the usb port on the nodem via its very own IP address; once located, It was simply a matter of mapping the portable drive as a network resource(network drive). bigponds helpcentre was actually helpful for a change. the reason I wanted to share a usb drive over the network is simple; a centralised location for downloads/archives/what have you(my wd portable is 250GB). bigpond members can login n get the detailed info there. for my model modem (thomson tg782t), it would seem that the IP address is a default(doesn't need to be unique except amongst the local network as it's "inside the subnet", dhcp deals with that). plug your usb drive into the modem, then try typing \\192.168.1.253 into the address bar of windows explorer; the device should show up on that address as diska1 at 192.168.1.253. - there're a few more steps to get a printer happening in this fashion, but If you've shared a network printer before you should manage.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

07-Jun-2009, 10:11 AM #5
Thanks for the feedback, glad it all worked out.

09-Jun-2009, 02:25 AM #6
you kool
thank you sir, for taking the time to ask.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!