Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Vista/XP Wifi home network IP Address Keeps Changing for Notebook PC

(!)

Member with 76 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Jun-2009, 01:21 PM #1
Vista/XP Wifi home network IP Address Keeps Changing for Notebook PC
I have a desktop PC running Win XP SP2 and a notebook on Win Vista Home which I have networked through a Trendnet wireless router. The desktop has Zonealarm firewall installed. I went into Zonealarm and entered the IP address for my notebook into the trusted zone and for a while evertyhing works fine. Every once in a while, though, connectivity is lost and it always traces back to the wireless IP address for my notebook being different by one digit. For example, the IP in the firewall had been set to 192.168.0.100 and so was my notebook and has been working fine. Or at least it was. This morning, the notebook IP had changed to 192.168.0.101 which of course didn't match what the firewall was looking for so no connectivity. As soon as I changed the firewall setting, voila, connectivity.

Why does the IP address for my notebook keep randomly changing for no apparent reason? The range of IPs I've seen assigned to my notebook is always 192.168.0.100 through 192.168.0.102.

Tawni
Member with 228 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Jun-2009, 01:51 PM #2
You have DHCP turned on. Your computer sends a request for an IP address to your router, your router give your computer an IP address. That ipaddress has a lease time. Once that lease time is up the computer gets a different IP address from the DHCP IP pool, and the IP it use to have goes back in the pool but is not used for a certian period time so there will not be IP confilics on your network.

you need to set Zonealram to trust the NETWORK your laptop is on.
192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0

Your laptop will always be in that network as long as your using your home router
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

12-Jun-2009, 03:48 PM #3
One thing to note, you will retain the same IP address for as long as you're connected. If you're disconnected and the current lease time expires, you will then potentially get a different IP address from the router's DHCP server.

Many routers have a MAC->IP reservation feature that will lock the IP address to the MAC address of the connecting device. You might check to see if you have that option.
Member with 76 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Jun-2009, 02:34 PM #4
Thanks for the responses, guys. John, I went into my router settings and found the option to lock the ip address to the MAC id of each of my PCs. I guess only time will tell whether this worked. Thanks for the tip. Just in case anyone else does this, remember to reboot your router after making changes. Otherwise, you won't be able to connect to the internet even though all your connections appear operational.

Here's one other related question: Can I now disable the DHCP option? I wasn't sure if this would manually require me to log in or something to connect.

Tawni

Last edited by desertwind; 13-Jun-2009 at 02:40 PM..
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

13-Jun-2009, 05:34 PM #5
No, you want to leave DHCP enabled.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!