Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Actual DSL speed is less than half of what it should be. Help please.

(!)

Member with 41 posts.

20-Jun-2009, 03:56 PM #1
Actual DSL speed is less than half of what it should be. Help please.
Hi. I pay for a 3.0 mb/s att dsl connection. For some time now, pages seem to load slower than they did initially. After going to speedtest.net, my download speed was stated at 1.14 mb/s. This is not even close to the 3.0 I'm paying for! What might be causing this. Could the company purposely be giving me less speed thinking I won't notice? If it matters, I'm using Vista home premium and have a wireless gateway but I'm using my desktop and our wireless connection is password protected.
Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Jun-2009, 05:35 PM #2
There could be many causes for a slower speed.

The problem might be a in your wireless network. Try connecting with a LAN cable, and see if the speed is the same.

The problem might also be that DSL signals degrade over distance from the DSLAM (essentially the gateway that connects many DSL lines, yours included, to the internet). Do you live in a rural area or a more densely populated area?

A possible way to find out is to go here: http://www.iplocationfinder.com/ See where it says you're located. The way DSL connections work is that this service, I think, actually reports your gateway's location. If it's far away from you, that might be the cause.

And I can feel your pain. I'm also getting significantly slower speed than what I'm paying for. And the site I linked to says my location is a good 40 miles from where I actually am.

Anyway, I'll do my best to help you.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

20-Jun-2009, 06:19 PM #3
(R)3 is correct.
I believe that the maximum distance from telco switch can be 18,000 feet.
The further away,the slower it gets.
Also,it also depends on the integrity of the lines and connections coming into your neighborhood and ultimately into and running through your home.
Poor lines and connections = slower speed.
Your ISP may be capping your bandwidth,based on your traffic and usage.Call them and ask the question.
Also just for a sanity check,I would suggest a couple of things.
Run your antispyware/antivirus apps just to see if anything turns up.
Also,clean out your internet cache and temp files
Also see if there might be any more current network adapters for your pc and if you have a standalone router,any more current firmware available.These are just standard maintenance things,but what can you lose? Worth a look see.
Member with 41 posts.

20-Jun-2009, 06:54 PM #4
Thanks for the responses. I don't think it's a distance issue. There's an att building about 2 miles away from my house. Also, I don't use the wireless with my desktop...I don't think. The gateway is connected with a yellow cable to my tower. I remember a while ago, when I first got DSL I did something that would supposedly change settings for me to maximize my speed. I have no idea what it was though. It was something online. Could that be to blame?
Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

20-Jun-2009, 07:08 PM #5
The problem could be from whatever you did online. I'm always wary of anything online to "change settings to maximize your speed".

And yellow is the single most common color for a LAN cable, so you're not using wireless. Is your computer connected to wireless router or directly to your DSL modem?

And the ATT building 2 miles away isn't necessarily your internet connection's gateway. My service provider has many buildings much closer to my home, but yet my gateway is 40 miles away.

I recommend doing as pedroguy said and calling ATT. It couldn't hurt.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

21-Jun-2009, 11:04 AM #6
Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!