Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Connecting iPod Touch to the Internet through Laptop

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jul-2009, 07:07 PM #1
Connecting iPod Touch to the Internet through Laptop
Hello,
I'm going to college this September and i found out that my internet connection will be through a LAN cable. (I.E. There will be a LAN cable in my room and this is how I will connect to the internet.) My question is: Can I connect my iPod to the internet through my laptop (Which will be connected to the LAN cable) to the internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you
Darrenmcg4

p.s. I'm using Vista
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,056 posts.

Experience: Einstein
04-Jul-2009, 10:28 PM #2
Why the frowny face on Vista? What exactly are the problems your having with it? I'll willing to bet none at all.

To answear your question as long as your computer has wifi as well (which any newer laptop would) you can set up Internet Connection Sharing (aka ICS) and share the laptops internet connection threw the wifi. This is easier in Vista then it ever has been. Just go to networking and following the prompts.
Member with 938 posts.

Experience: Super Dooper Advanced
05-Jul-2009, 09:20 AM #3
Which prompts in Networking?
Would there be a conflict with the computer being wired and the w/less being switched on?

I know if my computer is wired to the modem and my w/less switch is on I cannot connect.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,056 posts.

Experience: Einstein
06-Jul-2009, 12:34 PM #4
ICS will turn your Wifi into a access point and won't try to connect to networks when you have ICS set up. You shouldn't have any issues with your wifi on and your computer connected to an ethernet connection. The only thing I can think that would cause an issue is if your wifi is auto connectioning to a unsecured network. Then you would have two active connections which would cause a problem.

To learn about ISC google "ICS, Vista, set up" and you will get tons of pages explaining how.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
connecting, internet, ipod touch, lan

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!