Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to get better WiFi signal (my Apartment Complex)

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

10-Jul-2009, 03:33 PM #1
How to get better WiFi signal (my Apartment Complex)
Hi!

My apartment complex I just moved into offers free wi-fi. I can connect to it for a short period of slow-loading web page failure, and eventually get "disconnected" with limited or no-connectivity. Also, I have (but do not use, a D-Link wireless router).

Is there a way to use the wireless router as a receiving antenna device if it improves the signal?

I do not know what the apartment complex is using for their router, and have NO access to it. What is the best way to increase MY signal gathering ability to increase my connection?

Thanks in advance
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,472 posts.

10-Jul-2009, 05:51 PM #2
If your router has "wireless bridge" or "AP client" capability (few regular SOHO routers do) you can use it to connect to the complex's wireless. That's assuming that using their service does not include a page redirect requiring you to agree to their terms or login or anything.

One thing that may improve the signal strength is location--try your antenna other places (probably in a window or in the hall just outside your door ).

Getting a high gain antenna may help, but I don't know whether you already have an adapter to which you can connect it.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

10-Jul-2009, 08:24 PM #3
Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

For 802.11n applications, this ZyXEL ANT1106 6db omni-directional antenna can be used.

For really long range outdoor applications, this 24dB parabolic WiFi Antenna may be a good choice.

If you have a wireless adapter that doesn't have provisions for an external antenna, one adapter that I've had good luck with is a Rosewill RNX-G1 USB Wireless Adapter. It's feature is that is has a removable antenna and will accommodate replacement antennas.

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
weak wifi signal

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!