Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Internet keeps shutting off..

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

17-Jul-2009, 01:40 AM #1
Angry Solved: Internet keeps shutting off..
I have just switched my phone service over to Vonage, I have Verizon DSL and a NetGear wireless router that my laptop and XboX 360 run off of, well every since I switched to Vonage my internet keeps shutting off. My laptop wont work, it is telling me that I have too many IP Addresses, and my XboX is no longer connected to the internet. I have only had Vonage for 4 months, and its been a headache ever since. To make a long story short, could anyone tell me on why my internet keeps shutting off?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,723 posts.

Experience: Advanced in Networking
17-Jul-2009, 10:03 AM #2
Hi and welcome to TSG!
Have you tried resetting the modem and router?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,006 posts.

17-Jul-2009, 09:17 PM #3
Please describe your network, including brand and model of modem and router(s) and how things are interconnected.

Where is your internet connection being disconnected--before the modem, between modem and router, between router and computers, etc.?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

18-Jul-2009, 10:07 AM #4
Connect the Vonage VoIP adapter to a router port, do NOT connect it directly to the modem and then connect the router to the Vonage box.

If you connect it the way Vonage recommends, you will have endless issues with dual NAT layers and indeed your XBOX will cease to be able to connect to most games and sites.

20-Jul-2009, 12:19 AM #5
thanks for the tip, however when i hook it the way you stated voip to the router, then router to the vonage box, neither is hooked to the modem and nothing works at all, i tried voip to the router, than router to the modem and that didnt work either, did i miss a step somewhere? now i have it back the way it was which works ( half the time ), but my phone cuts out, my internet connection cuts out, my lap top and x box dont connect at all?

20-Jul-2009, 08:09 AM #6
yes i did, every time i get an error code (oo8 or 004) i have to unplug and plug everything back in
Computer Specs

20-Jul-2009, 08:13 AM #7
Well, I can assure you that the connection method I outlined works for many folks, including me.

What is the EXACT make and model of the modem, router, and Vonage VoIP adapter? I suspect that your router uses the same subnet as the DSL modem/router, which is simple to fix.

20-Jul-2009, 09:11 AM #8
the modem is a westell 6100, the router is a netgear wgr614 and the vonage box is vdv21-vd
Computer Specs

20-Jul-2009, 09:11 AM #9
You may have misread the "do NOT" part of John's sentence.

The modem should be connected to the WAN port of the router. The Vonage box, computers, etc., should then be connected to the router's LAN ports.

20-Jul-2009, 09:16 AM #10
u must have miss read what i wrote. NEITHER is hooked to the modem and nothing works.. i tried it the other way to see if it worked and it does NOT
Computer Specs

20-Jul-2009, 09:26 AM #11
The reason here is probably that the Westell 6100 is a modem/router, and your Netgear is in the same subnet. You need to configure the Netgear base address to be something like 192.168.3.1 and this will all probably work.
Computer Specs

20-Jul-2009, 09:29 AM #12
Right; what I missed reading was your post at the same time as mine.

20-Jul-2009, 09:33 AM #13
we did all that when we hooked it all up..spent 5 hours on the phone with netgear...thank you for all of your help but i've already got disconnected 4 times while on here, now i have internet and no phone, im just gonna cancel vonage and go back to verizon. thanks again for your help

20-Jul-2009, 09:34 AM #14
its alright. thanks tho!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!