Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to disable a website such as Facebook

(!)

Member with 48 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jul-2009, 03:45 PM #1
How to disable a website such as Facebook
Hi guyz,

Hope you are fine and doing well. I wanted to know how we can disable a particular web site for a particular user. Especially website like face book that may have more then one IP addresses.

One possible solution might be to use a proxy server but in my situation we cannot use a proxy server, we have a ASA-5510 Firewall installed. I was looking any cost effective software which can be configured with this firewall or we can simply deploy any other network software that can do this job?

Unfortunately I do not have experience on firewall and its configuration so I am looking for some other good solution.
Member with 105 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Jul-2009, 03:53 PM #2
Per user can be tricky. If you want or don't mind blocking for all users edit your hosts file. You can find it usually in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. Edit this file with notepad and insert the following line:

127.0.0.1 facebook.com

Save and close. DO NOT change the name of the file or this will NOT work.

Reboot your system and try to access the site.
zx10guy has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 3,951 posts.

21-Jul-2009, 03:58 PM #3
Websense.

Websense is a web filtering solution you run on a server. The ASAs already have a built in hook into the Websense software. You just have to configure the ASA to point to it and assign the IP address spaces you want to fall under this restriction. I deployed this solution with a PIX515E for my last job and it works great.

The Websense server has preset black lists and categories to make your job easier in managing blocked content. The server will periodically update its database from Websense. You can customize the type of traffic blocked down to specific sites and URLs. There's also an audit feature where you can generate reports using a SQL server to keep track of internet traffic going out from your network along with IPs and times of the traffic. This includes any blocked traffic. When a page is blocked, the user will see a splash page stating the site they hit was prohibited due to filtering rules.

The way the system works is the ASA will not allow traffic to leave it going to internet until it checks with the Websense server. If the Websense server says it is ok, the ASA allows the traffic out.
zx10guy has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 3,951 posts.

21-Jul-2009, 04:43 PM #4
Something else I wanted to add. I forgot about filtering based on users. I vaguely remembered something about this when setting up the Websense server. So I checked their site and I was correct....Websense will also apply filter rules based on user and groups. You have to tie the Websense server into your AD environment. I remember now that I was going to try this but moved on to another company shortly after deploying the solution.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!