Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Good Satellite Internet Providers?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
22-Jul-2009, 08:16 PM #1
Question Good Satellite Internet Providers?
I live in a rural area where the only choices for internet are dial-up or satellite. I currently have satellite internet (Hughes Net), and am not happy with it; it seems that in no time I reach the download limit and my internet shuts down for 24 hours. I have to wait until 1:00 a.m.- 6:00 a.m. to do anything (that's when there isn't a download limit) for fear of shutting down the internet for a day. I'm already paying a ridiculous amount of money to download what little we can. I've looked around and found another satellite internet provider called Skyfx. I hear that Skyfx is suppose to be cheaper, more reliable, and be easier on the download limit. Can anyone tell me if Skyfx is indeed the best satellite internet for a rural area? And if not, do you have any suggestions for a better satellite internet provider?
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Jul-2009, 08:32 PM #2
I'm not sure where you are but we have a provider called Blue Sky here in Eastern Pa that
is so much better than Hughes and less $.
http://www.blueskydish.net/
Computer Specs
Member with 1,852 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jul-2009, 10:57 PM #3
How good is cellphone service in your area? You might want to check cellphone providers for internet service.

I know Verizon has wireless broadband service. Speeds can vary greatly depending on type of coverage area. EVDO-Reva is 600-1400Kbps/500-800Kbps, standard EVDO is 400-700Kbps/60-80Kbps, Enhanced Services Areas upto 144Kbps/60-80Kbps.Their 5 GB monthly allowance plan is $59.99. Uses a USB adapter that cost about $80 with 2 year contract or Type II PCMCIA card for about $100 with 2 year contract. They also list a wireless hub ( about $150) that handles upto 5 devices.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Jul-2009, 10:16 AM #4
Good point the wireless broadband service is faster than any satellite I have ever seen.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,852 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Jul-2009, 09:43 PM #5
The numbers I quoted are from Verizon. Don't know anyone who uses their Mobile Broadband so couldn't check to see how good service actually is.

My oldest daughter's boyfriend has Sprint Mobile. Not sure what his speeds are. They live in the boonies in KY. No DSL and cable provider doesn't do network. At the house they have a wireless router device that uses a PCMCIA card. Last December both daughters were looking at Facebook on their laptops, I was checking TechGuy and other sites on mine, and Don was downloading and watching movies on his. No hiccups for any of us. Only problem is that Sprint has stopped taking customers.
Account Disabled with 16,918 posts.

24-Jul-2009, 12:02 AM #6
Am subscribing....I need options as well where I am at
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
internet, satellite, skyfx

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!